Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Steven Wilson- Bruce Mason Theater 12/11/18

Post by Basket Case »

While the upper middle-class bogans were at the Scorpions/Def Leppard show, the more discerning of us were in Takapuna spending an evening with Steven Wilson. I didn't realise just how good our seats were until we got there. Probably the best spot I've ever managed to get at a gig!

Stellar tone from Steven's '63 Tele through the Bad Cat. His PRSs sounded pretty great too. Thought Alex Hutchins' Laney irt sounded pretty lackluster in comparison.

Amazing musicianship, especially from Craig Blundell and Nick Beggs.

Did anyone else go?
Last edited by Basket Case on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Steven Wilson- Bruce Mason Theater 12/11/18

Post by Bg »

I was keen but just struggling with volume and ears at moment :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Bg wrote:I was keen but just struggling with volume and ears at moment :(
Ahh, that sucks.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yeah, it could be worse, I could be dead lol.

anyway I bet it was awesome, as a late comer to the steven wilson train, he's regularly on my Spotify list :) He always gets great guitarists as well :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

oh the guy who ruined Opeth ........ JB in 3 ... 2 ...1 :rofl:

:moresarc:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I was there! Fantastic gig, what a great venue. Taking out intermission it was 2.5 hours of music too, which is great. Setlist here - pleasantly heavy on the Porcupine Tree: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven-w ... 7aa85.html

(thanks for spotting the Laney - I was on the end of row D on the right could see it all apart from Alex's amp)

I laughed when he had his little speech about Telecasters and their quintessential sound... saying "most of you have no idea what I'm talking about" but I guess we do haha

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

sirvill wrote:I was there! Fantastic gig, what a great venue. Taking out intermission it was 2.5 hours of music too, which is great. Setlist here - pleasantly heavy on the Porcupine Tree: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven-w ... 7aa85.html

(thanks for spotting the Laney - I was on the end of row D on the right could see it all apart from Alex's amp)

I laughed when he had his little speech about Telecasters and their quintessential sound... saying "most of you have no idea what I'm talking about" but I guess we do haha
I really thought the venue was great too. Sounded great except being a bit too bass-heavy at times. The best thing about the venue was that there was actually a decent amount of leg space in front of the seats!

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Basket Case wrote: I really thought the venue was great too. Sounded great except being a bit too bass-heavy at times. The best thing about the venue was that there was actually a decent amount of leg space in front of the seats!
Yes to all of this! We did comment after that it was quite bassy, but not flubby, so I didn't mind it. I think there was so much keyboard/synth there was a lot going on down that end.

And yes, very very comfortable seats. And the layout is awesome, not a bad seat in the place.

BG: you into/across Porcupine Tree as well? His old band, but the songwriting is basically him. Its more towards the hard rock/metal end but still reeks of SW.