Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Dire Straits

Post by Molly »

Kev77 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:57 pm His work on Bob Dylan’s “slow train coming “ is mr. K 79? So slick and inventive
Oh Mercy. MK produced and played on that. Might be my favourite Dyaln album.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

I heard the first broadcast of the first song, Sultans of Swing, on Charlie Gillett’s Honky Tonk programme on Radio London in 1977. Dire Straits played at a Honky Tonk summer concert on Clapham Common that year. I wish I had gone.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 pm Knopfler is a genius as a lyricist and MASTER guitarist, songwriter, arranger, everything. The only thing he's not great at in singing, but he writes such great tunes all he has to do it occasionally mumble a word or two near a microphone and it just sounds luverly
I’m going to challenge you on the singing Ben. I think his voice has matured to a burnished and expressive glow in later years.
Consider these tracks for example:
Quality Shoe.
Wherever I Go
Don’t Crash the Ambulance
This is Us
Get Lucky.
I could go on and on but only because the man seems to have developed the ability to command any musical style he wants to colour his stories with.
More and more, I now think of Knopfler as one of the greatest narrative lyricists of our time.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

I enjoy the All the Roadrunning album he did with Emmylou Harris. Great songs, playing, and singing. A good combination of voices, which is usual for Emmylou.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Slowy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:29 am
rickenbackerkid wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 pm Knopfler is a genius as a lyricist and MASTER guitarist, songwriter, arranger, everything. The only thing he's not great at in singing, but he writes such great tunes all he has to do it occasionally mumble a word or two near a microphone and it just sounds luverly
I’m going to challenge you on the singing Ben. I think his voice has matured to a burnished and expressive glow in later years.
Quality Shoe.
Wherever I Go
This is Us
Get Lucky.
I could go on and on but only because the man seems to have developed the ability to command any musical style he wants to colour his stories with.
More and more, I now think of Knopfler as one of the greatest narrative lyricists of our time.

Oooh. I don't know some of those, will explore later. Get Lucky is a truly stunning record, love it and a great title track.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

It’s hard to play MK style with a pick. End up hybrid with fingers and pick. Plays a lot of 6ths. Such melodic fills and solos. Has anyone else ever matched it?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

werdna wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:47 pm It’s hard to play MK style with a pick. End up hybrid with fingers and pick. Plays a lot of 6ths. Such melodic fills and solos. Has anyone else ever matched it?
Matched Mark Knopfler? :zomg: :shock:

I do wonder if how the hell he gets his tone. I have fingernails so I can pluck acoustic strings clearly and loudly. Without them I can hardly get any volume, and it sounds horrible and muddy/muffled. When played on electric, it sounds very ringy, not the mellow tone he has. And yet, he plays both acoustic and electric beautifully. No bloody idea how he does it. Retractable claws?

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

codedog wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:53 pm
werdna wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:47 pm It’s hard to play MK style with a pick. End up hybrid with fingers and pick. Plays a lot of 6ths. Such melodic fills and solos. Has anyone else ever matched it?
Matched Mark Knopfler? :zomg: :shock:

I do wonder if how the hell he gets his tone. I have fingernails so I can pluck acoustic strings clearly and loudly. Without them I can hardly get any volume, and it sounds horrible and muddy/muffled. When played on electric, it sounds very ringy, not the mellow tone he has. And yet, he plays both acoustic and electric beautifully. No bloody idea how he does it. Retractable claws?
Lol. I can't figure it out and I've tried with fingers, same outcome as you. Jeff Beck has the knack as well.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:02 pm
Slowy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:29 am
Quality Shoe.
Wherever I Go
This is Us
Get Lucky.

Oooh. I don't know some of those, will explore later. Get Lucky is a truly stunning record, love it and a great title track.
I want to add Prairie Wedding to that list, I could add so many more. He writes songs that suit his vocal style perfectly, and there is rarely an album filler on his output.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

You guys all know he has no indie, shoe gaze, goth, surf, hip hop, r&b, gangsta cross over right?
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:10 pm
I want to add Prairie Wedding to that list, I could add so many more. He writes songs that suit his vocal style perfectly, and there is rarely an album filler on his output.
I used to look forward to each MK album then I heard that 'Bacon Roll' song...

I was noodlin' along with the first Dire Straits album this afternoon. His tone was great then too.

He used to use Reinhardt amps (pretty high gain as far as I know). These days I believe he's using Kemper live.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:18 pm He used to use Reinhardt amps (pretty high gain as far as I know). These days I believe he's using Kemper live.
He was using the Reinhardt Storm which was Bob's take on a Jcm 800. Odd choice I thought ( as did Bob haha )
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:29 pm You guys all know he has no indie, shoe gaze, goth, surf, hip hop, r&b, gangsta cross over right?

Shoe gaze & sorta surfy? surf

Love the Shangri-La solo. (2:30) It sounds so simple until you try to get the phrasing right. Been on it for ages and occasionally......
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:18 pm
Bg wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:10 pm
I used to look forward to each MK album then I heard that 'Bacon Roll' song...

I was noodlin' along with the first Dire Straits album this afternoon. His tone was great then too.

He used to use Reinhardt amps (pretty high gain as far as I know). These days I believe he's using Kemper live.
not sure what your point is...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

You made three points....

You didn't like bacon roll song

You enjoyed noodling to the first dire straits album

He used to use Reinhardt amps.

Which one did you want to lead with :P just saying rasssssssssssspppppppppperrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyyyy