Moderator: Capt. Black

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 364 times

Marillion • An Hour Before It’s Dark

Post by MiniForklift »

Volume is up and first track has started, two hour drive in front of me so should get a couple of initial listens under the belt. Supposedly one for all of the Rothery fans and a true return to form. We shall see, but it’s been a long wait and I am excited…
Attachments
72F7C3A3-305F-48B2-876D-AF4C48999E1F.png
72F7C3A3-305F-48B2-876D-AF4C48999E1F.png (418.66 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: Marillion • An Hour Before It’s Dark

Post by sty »

Looking forward to hearing this soon.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

sty wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:44 am Looking forward to hearing this soon.
Well it’s definitely worth a listen. Surprisingly it doesn’t have too much of the searing Rothery solo’s I was hoping for but one listen down and I like it. It sounds like it’s almost a continuation of FEAR but with possibly stronger melodies and songs overall. It’s definitely a full and rich listening experience. If you’re someone that has any preconceptions of this band (prog rock, Fish etc etc) you can dismiss all of that straight off the bat
Initial standouts for me (which will no doubt repeatedly change) are The Crow and the Nightingale and the final few parts of the ‘Care’ sections. This album certainly ends beautifully

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

sty wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:44 am Looking forward to hearing this soon.
I'm downloading it to my Spotify app so I can easily listen in the car.

I do have a fair degree of pre-conception of the band (I'm mostly in love with the Fish era stuff and find H's vocals a bit off putting (mind you Fish's vocals are a long way from they used to be these days and I don't think the overall tunes are as strong as they used to be), however i did really really enjoy Rothery's solo albums and recent live CDs.

I'm open minded enough to give it a good go.

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by captainfruitbat »

Three listens in and I'm really enjoying it. It will take several more listens to settle into it all though - lots of complexity here.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

captainfruitbat wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 pm Three listens in and I'm really enjoying it. It will take several more listens to settle into it all though - lots of complexity here.
It's on a whole other level on a good pair of headphones. Now I've dug a little deeper into the lyrics everything is a lot clearer and the poignancy of everything really hits you in the face. Listened to it on my morning walk yesterday and the final track nearly had a few tears out of me, I can honestly picture a hall fall of people crying when they finally play this whole thing live and get to the end :eh:

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Before Covid hit Marillion we’re planning to do a weekend event in Australia. Damn, I hope they put this back on the agenda. I’m a huge fan, but I’ve not seen them live since the 80s.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:13 am Before Covid hit Marillion we’re planning to do a weekend event in Australia. Damn, I hope they put this back on the agenda. I’m a huge fan, but I’ve not seen them live since the 80s.
Yeah, I would've gone over for that! Would've been the early and mid 90's when I saw them live, was lucky enough to see them many times in the UK when they were on their 'Holiday's In Eden', 'Brave' and 'Afraid of Sunlight' tours. The lights and visuals they put on that run alongside the music are amazing, they seemed to really start to make that a thing from Brave onwards

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:13 am Before Covid hit Marillion we’re planning to do a weekend event in Australia. Damn, I hope they put this back on the agenda. I’m a huge fan, but I’ve not seen them live since the 80s.
Same here. Saw them a couple of times at Aylesbury Friars very early 80s, then at Reading Rock Festival in both 82 and 83. Haven't seen them live since except on the various live DVDs I've bought over the years. It's an ambition of mine to make it to one of their weekends maybe in the Netherlands in the next couple of years.

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

Ahhh, brings back memories of listening to Script for a Jester's Tear, and Misplaced Childhood on vinyl, in the company of my beautiful slightly older next door neighbour smoking naughty cigarettes and drinking red wine, was very cathartic after a rough break up

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

ChAoZ wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:25 pm Ahhh, brings back memories of listening to Script for a Jester's Tear, and Misplaced Childhood on vinyl, in the company of my beautiful slightly older next door neighbour smoking naughty cigarettes and drinking red wine, was very cathartic after a rough break up
Was he a big fan of Marillion?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

Well it took nearly a month to arrive but was worth the wait. The ‘book’ that’s inside the sleeve is beautiful, looking forward to watching the DVD on the making of the album tonight :)
Attachments
0B1B09B8-0B20-4C6E-8B38-B0D3B1DB4331.jpeg
0B1B09B8-0B20-4C6E-8B38-B0D3B1DB4331.jpeg (4.94 MiB) Viewed 2584 times

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

MiniForklift wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:56 pm Well it took nearly a month to arrive but was worth the wait. The ‘book’ that’s inside the sleeve is beautiful, looking forward to watching the DVD on the making of the album tonight :)
Mine arrived a couple of days ago. I didn't go for the signed one though. The packaging is really nice, and the documentary is well worth a watch.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

captainfruitbat wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:31 pm Mine arrived a couple of days ago. I didn't go for the signed one though. The packaging is really nice, and the documentary is well worth a watch.
Finally got around to watching it last night. Found it fascinating listening to all of them talking about the creative process and how the songs were developed over time. Very cool

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

MiniForklift wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:16 pm
captainfruitbat wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:31 pm Mine arrived a couple of days ago. I didn't go for the signed one though. The packaging is really nice, and the documentary is well worth a watch.
Finally got around to watching it last night. Found it fascinating listening to all of them talking about the creative process and how the songs were developed over time. Very cool
Agreed. And the background info on the choir they used and how that all came together was really interesting - even for someone like me who has never even thought about choirs and choral arrangements before. They've come a long way since Grendel and Market Square Heroes.....