Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Tony Hadley

Post by Lawrence »

yes in the eighties I was a fan of Spandau Ballet - from "Cut a Long Story Short" to "True" and beyond.

The show at Christchurch James Hay theatre was low key production but high energy performance. The band, Drums, bass, guitar, keys , and percussion, were all top flight pl\players, but the guitarist in particular was superb.

Playing a Knaggs single cut through what I think was a HX Stomp plus a few pedals, with no onstage cabs, "Ritchie" had a thick rich singing tone. Hadley gave him many solos and they were all masterclasses in pyrotechnics but always tasteful, and performed with the sort of nonchalance that only comes from being very practiced. Clean tones also nice with a bit of phaser for the funk.

I have tried to find out his last name but it eludes me. Superb player. Personally I would have mixed the solos just a fraction louder...butit was the singers show...

oh, and Hadley sang well too :D
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Tony Hadley

Post by Bg »

Was a great fan of spandau back in the day, the band obviously.
Didn't get my arse in gear for tickets for some reason and as luck would have it, I'm looking after the missus post op so couldn't go. Shame as I love playing the bass lines to them and I do a wicked 'true' on guitar.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Lawrence wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:27 pm I have tried to find out his last name but it eludes me. Superb player.
I would guess Richard Barratt who still holds the gig. A fine and smokin guitar player imho.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Dharmajester wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:35 pm
Lawrence wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:27 pm I have tried to find out his last name but it eludes me. Superb player.
I would guess Richard Barratt who still holds the gig. A fine and smokin guitar player imho.
Yup! finally found him.

Hadley had a great sense of humour...came out at the start and said "we are going to play all the hits, "Rio" , "Reflex", "Hungery Like the Wolf"" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Spandau Ballet at Vector a few years back was one of the best concerts I've been to. We have a SB live DVD at the 02 that we play on rotation with a few others.

I didn't know he was touring here till it popped up on a friends Facebook page :-(
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity