Moderator: Capt. Black

denden
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time

Blood-drive, Metal Muff and Weeping Demon Review

Post by denden »

Well, seeing as my pedal board is finally complete, i guess i better write a review on the pedals :D

MXR Blood-drive:

The case sucks arse. Its a coffin case with a skull on it, the sight of it makes me want to throw up. Its ugly, but it sounds good. Instead of the standard "Volume Tone Drive" Controlls, it has "Inject Cut Bleed" :roll: LAME.

BUT! it sounds good :-) Imagine a bad-monkey on crack. True bypass, and virtually no noise when its on. Roll the drive and tone back, you can get a pretty good bluesy kinda thing (when i say roll the drive back, i mean right back), bring in the tone and drive and the pedal really starts to push the amp, getting some nice Hi-gain distortion. Roll the tone back and the drive all the way up, and you get the Korn "Dunga Dunga Squee" thing going. The best bit of this all is that when you roll back on the guitar volume, the pedal cleans up superbly. Cuts through the mix very well. Doesn't really have enough bottom end without sacrificing the cut-through, a wee tweak on the amp saw this fixed.

In essence, its just a Bad Monkey that fell in with a bad crowd and began abusing drugs.

I'm in the process of designing a new case that doesn't blow so hard.

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff:

BWAHAHA! I love this pedal :D Controlls are: Volume, Top Boost, Treble, Middle, Bass and Distortion. I leave the distortion on about 1/4, boost the bass and mids, cut a bit off the treble. This is the ultimate metal pedal :twisted: With the above settings it has bottom end from 'Nam, Palm muted riffs just sound so damn sweet. If the EQ is set properly, it can emulate the Big Muff sound rather well, but its like valvestate's take on valve sound, not quite right. I have a big muff next in the chain for this reason :wink: With the distortion rolled up, you get into Morbid Angel/Sepultura Territory. Roll the distortion down to about 7 oclock and fiddle with the EQ and you can a more rock sound out of the pedal.

The top boost function is great, its like a solo boost thingie. It adds in more treble and slightly more mids. The top boost knob adjusts how much more exactly. I found this good cause i could set the pedal up for good rhythm sound, then just stomp on the top boost for solo's (we don't have a rhythm guitarist, so this comes in real handy)

This pedal does pretty much everything, its great :D Doesn't cost an arm and a leg either. It's built like a brick shithouse and can happily with stand the abuses of gigging.

Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon:

The multi-effects of wah. Has three controls (with that nifty ibanez pot design thing) Level, Q and spikey thing. Level is pretty self explanatory. Q is the sweep of the wah, basically how much wahing the wah will do, the range of the wah. Spikey thing is a picture of a wave form, it dictates how much bottom end the wah has, or what it sounds like with heel down.

There is a Normal-Low switch too, if you are using this pedal with an extended range instrument or a bass, flick it to low, if not leave it on Normal.

Under the foot board is a micro sweep adjuster, i never used it, just left it on 12 oclock and got the sound i was after.
What really sold the pedal, though, is that you don't need to stomp on a switch to activate it, you just use it. If you flick a lever over on the side of the pedal, the pedal get spring loaded into the heel position. Which means you rock it back and forth, then it spring back to the heel down position. When its in the heel down position its off, there is an adjustable sensor that sets up the travel on the pedal before it engages. Also another wee pot that adjusts if there is any bleed in the wah, so when you return to the heel down position, does it turn of automatically or remain on the lowest setting for X milliseconds. Quite a neat feature. There is a flat head screw at the back of the pedal that adjusts the tension of the pedal.

If you cant be arsed with the above, you can leave the pedal on standard mode and just stomp the switch to activate it. No spring loading, works like a standard wah.

Its encased in a solid metal casing, built pretty rugged. Can stand being thrown at random punters.

Now all i need is an Electric Mistress to do my Flanging and im all sorted :lol:

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Blood-drive, Metal Muff and Weeping Demon Review

Post by Jenesis »

Where did you get your Weeping Demon, chief? Been umming and ahhing over one of those for ages...

Metal Muff also looks appealing, even though I don't really play much metal these days. I think if I bought one I'd just go for the Micro. Or a Little Big Muff.

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

Jenesis wrote:Where did you get your Weeping Demon, chief? Been umming and ahhing over one of those for ages...

Metal Muff also looks appealing, even though I don't really play much metal these days. I think if I bought one I'd just go for the Micro. Or a Little Big Muff.
Nano metal muff is good, pocket metal muff (three pot version) does the same thing, just with a smaller range of available sounds and no top boost. Both the Nano and the Pocket metal muff have mid scoop switches.

I got the Weeping Demon for Slovenia :lol: But they have one at atwaters music works in auckland, they are about $280 ish

Little big muff? Fooey! Gotta have the big case 8)

You might be interested in the double muff also, alot simpler but still makes good noise.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Ha ha, I'm not really down with those huge EHX cases. Modern-looking XO line all the way for me. Well, except for the monstrous Flanger Hoax which I will one day possess... [sigh]

So can you dial in the Metal Muff to sound anything like a "normal" Muff, or does it always have that metallic edge?

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

Jenesis wrote: So can you dial in the Metal Muff to sound anything like a "normal" Muff, or does it always have that metallic edge?
You can get it kinda sounding like a 'normal' muff, but if you aren't after high gain, just get a big muff (or not so big muff in your case).

The metal muff is designed to do metal, with an electro harmonix fuzz edge to it. Great pedal by all means, but if its not the sound you are after then you're better off with something else. It can kinda get other pedal sounds out of it, but its similar to painting a swan pink, sending it to a few gay bars then calling it a flamingo :lol:

EDIT: Hehehe, samick...

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

If anyone wants a Micro Metal Muff with Top Boost, I have one available for $120. First in first served.
Konx om Pax

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

denden wrote:
Jenesis wrote: So can you dial in the Metal Muff to sound anything like a "normal" Muff, or does it always have that metallic edge?
You can get it kinda sounding like a 'normal' muff, but if you aren't after high gain, just get a big muff (or not so big muff in your case).
"Kinda" is close enough for a tone slob like me. Plus it's always nice to have some extra gain up your sleeve, right?

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

Jenesis wrote:
denden wrote:
"Kinda" is close enough for a tone slob like me. Plus it's always nice to have some extra gain up your sleeve, right?
Yup, especially if you start to bum around with lower tunings and what not, the big muff just doesn't sound right with anything lower than drop D

I'd hit up thingie above for that micro metal muff, it has Volume Tone and Drive controls, as opposed to a three band EQ and a three way toggle switch which has Off, Low and High, these dictate the top boost. When i had a play with one, low scoops the mids and doesn't really touch the treble, high boosts mid and treble. You should be able to get a fair few sounds outta it, and for $120 its pretty good. I think they are $180 new.