MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

LR Baggs Anthem

Post by MattH »

Now I've got a flipping amazing acoustic, I'm gonna need to chuck a decent pick up system in it. I've tried piezos and under the bridge mics etc, but no dual source systems.

I like the hot signal and directness of a piezo, but it's a bit synthetic, so was thinking of trying the LR Baggs Anthem which gives you both. Anyone tried one? I understand that they have a crossover built in and the piezo takes care of anything under 250HZ, but everything over that signal is blendable with the mic. What's the thinking behind the 250Hz thing?

I've got a Lyric in one of my acoustics (mic only) but it's a bit quiet, so that's a small concern, although I'm not too worried as I have a decent DI/Preamp that caters for an active input.

Ben - I know you recommended one. Anything to watch out for?

Cheers
Matt
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: LR Baggs Anthem

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Get the full version, not the SL version, which is cheaper, but you can't adjust the blend.

I love the lyric, and haven't yet had any issues with it, but I can't help but wonder if I should have shelled out for the Anthem, so I had the peizo option if needed.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Anthem is great but the DTar wavelength multi-source is as good if not better.

The downfall of the Baggs stuff is that they all connect to a central module via 1/8" mini jacks which can sometimes fail and are fiddly to repair. The DTar unit is rocksolid.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

Hey - thanks for that. I've done some research and gone for the D-TAR. It's $150 cheaper but seems comparable, so I've pulled the trigger.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the mic location at the top of the soundhole, but the under-saddle PUP seems very well-regarded and demos sound excellent. Also, it seems like a more flexible design - you can drop in an alternative second source if the mic doesn't work out. I figured I could stick in a Lyric that I currently have in another guitar if the mic doesn't cut it.

Finally, there's also an option to split the sources out to stereo using the same hardware - I might try this as my Headway DI has a stereo input option.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

MattH wrote:Hey - thanks for that. I've done some research and gone for the D-TAR. It's $150 cheaper but seems comparable, so I've pulled the trigger.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the mic location at the top of the soundhole, but the under-saddle PUP seems very well-regarded and demos sound excellent. Also, it seems like a more flexible design - you can drop in an alternative second source if the mic doesn't work out. I figured I could stick in a Lyric that I currently have in another guitar if the mic doesn't cut it.

Finally, there's also an option to split the sources out to stereo using the same hardware - I might try this as my Headway DI has a stereo input option.
Good choice! Yes options galore, I was tempted to tweak it myself but to be honest I've been totally happy with the sound once I put the pickup in there and haven't touched it since. Killer guitar too!