Well if not him, then who???
You can't do THAT on stage!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Relic

Post by GrantB »

That's quite funny B45's quote and it applied to the topic...
Anyways, I suspect BG you wish to see more photos of the project and how it is all going. Well, clear coats are going on the Daphne Blue, and my oh my the thing is looking fine. I must be out of my mind to want to mess this baby up...

I'm sure you guys appreciate the e-Bay Strat decal...*cough*...I tell you what, it looks a million bucks.

Jjust for BG, the biggest issue with painting the body was making sure that I did it when the temp was above 15 degress celsius - any less and the paint dried with a "flush", which had to be sanded out and re-done. Today was mint and I got a whole lot of painting done (my Shoreline Gold tele)...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

looking good mate, yeah be careful with that temp! I've been sanding and painting today too - bloomin' windows though :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

bluesgeek wrote:looking good mate, yeah be careful with that temp! I've been sanding and painting today too - bloomin' windows though :(

How the hell did misses BG get you to do some DIY ?

THat blue is a great colour, I love the surf green from that era as well.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

well basically the french doors were about to fall off their hinges - so I've spent two weekends rebuilding them :( and I didn't have to fill the dishwasher, so that was a bonus
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

bluesgeek wrote:well basically the french doors were about to fall off their hinges - so I've spent two weekends rebuilding them :( and I didn't have to fill the dishwasher, so that was a bonus
\

Hey BG totally off topic, but do you know of any decent wood paint that sits on French doors for more than about 3/4 years without blistering. I used roofing paint as the other stuff (wood) simply blistered and repeatedly cooked/peeled off in the sun here in Wellington (yeah I know - I could not believe it either - 3 clear dry days a year in this wind-ridden, stinking, piss-hole and it manages to do this!!!)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nah mate, I usually just slap the same stuff on every other year. Whoever did these doors originally forgot to paint the bottom! Wonder why they were getting so damp....

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Unique, just send the Strat down to B45, he can put it by his french doors for a day or two - perfect cracking and aging!

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Or even longer - could need a month, year decade etc - these things like cheese take time!! Heh heh. Tell you what though; one look at that decal convinced me there is no way I will buy a 2nd hand strat from now on except at chinese prices.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

What colour pickguard?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Vintage mint green but scuffed up and scratched accordingly...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

TaDaaaa

Played it on Saturday night....sitting on stage still doing the intonation having had it in 5 millions pieces 2 hours earlier....
A full run down of the issues, fun etc that I had with this beast as soon as I have real time on my hands...cheers

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Another shot...not so good sorry - I'll take more later

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

did you drop out of the car to get that effect. :wink: Looks great. I am amazed it actually works after the amount of screwing with it BG did before he sold it.

He was always putting bits on it and taking others off. :D

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yeah, I had to return back to new to cover up BG's inspirational tinkerings just so I could screw it up again by throwing Allen keys on it!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves