GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

How Not To Make A Guitar

Post by GrantB »

http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/telec ... walnut.htm

Take one piece of awesome expensive walnut, one plonker and combine...wait a few months and you have a cheap piece of walnut and an ugly guitar...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

:shock:

Don't show ash :shock:

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

What a cock-up
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

What a hoot!!

Me caveman. Build good guitar.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

it started out reasonably well, he certainly congratulated himself on the neck pocket enough times!

"What you see here is sawdust filled epoxy that I am applying to fill the voids between the body and the caps. After it dries it will get sanded down, and it should look fine." - YEAH, RIGHT

Will be starting mine next week, this may be the last time I mention it (will post pics if it turns out better than that one) ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Good on him.

He gave it a go - carefully documented every step, warts and all.

It didn't work out particularly well and its damn ugly in my eyes, but he thinks its beautiful - eye of the beholder stuff.

Woodworking is not a craft for everyone....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yes, don't think me too harsh. However, with a slab of Walnut like that, a trial on a piece of pine would have been advisable (to learn all of this prior to working on the walnut).
Also, a quick chat to a luthier around town would have helped sort out tools and trechnique a little...

Speaking of building, that white P90 tele thing I created requires re-finishing now after I decided that the bridge will have to be a Hard tail strat as opposed to a wrap around Gibson style. What a mission that guitar has been...probably spent $70 on lacquer only to strip it all away (and dowel my mounting post holes)...have to create a new scratch plate too which is almost as painful as doing the rest of the work.

Ash, got any recommendations about getting the strinf through body holes perfect on the underside of a Tele? Obviously I am using a drill press, but I have always found these holes hard to get super perfect. Cheers
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yes he had a go, but if you look at the rest of the site you will find that he does think he's pretty good at building guitars - this wasn't his first, he's built about 8 and is now trying to teach underpriviledged kids how to build them.

Heres another of his efforts - 80's Strat anyone?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Ash, got any recommendations about getting the strinf through body holes perfect on the underside of a Tele? Obviously I am using a drill press, but I have always found these holes hard to get super perfect. Cheers
Use a brad point drill bit and drill just past half depth from both sides. They'll look right on both surfaces and any misalignment will be inside where it doesn't matter.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog

Post by Rog »

I didn't read to the point where he thought he was actually any good.

That pic is entitled 'niceneckpocket' - that's a joke, right??

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yep, the thing is, he made this huge cockup and then carried on until the point of final assembly - then decided it wasn't quite good enough!

Good on him for having a go, but I wouldn't be posting these sort of pix - so if you don't see any pix of my body, just assume it ends up like the one above ;)

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL - I agree - if I was churning out stuff like that - it'd be my secret!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Here's the lads whole inventory of gat's and amps he's created...it's got to be art surely...I absolutely love his honesty - when he makes a mess of it he says it. This guy is a hero - a poor woodworker and electrician, but a hero none the less.

http://stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/

Rog

Post by Rog »

Man - I give him 100% for effort!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

If mine turns out lkike that I wil not be showing anybody. I will be silently sobbign somewhere that I risked my hard earned cash on a piece of firewood.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ