Badder, Better Les P... I mean unnamed single cutaway guitar

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Can Les Paul's guitar be improved?

No, they're already perfect.
11%
A change here and there would do the world of good.
44%
Yes, cut them up and start again.
44%

Total votes: 9

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Badder, Better Les P... I mean unnamed single cutaway guitar

Post by ash »

I get plenty of request for LP ripoffs and the whole PRS LP ripoff saga has got me wondering about how far you can take Les Paul's original concept.

Most people just want a nearly exact copy of an existing Gibson model, but I like to mix things up a bit and introduce newer features that offer benefits over the 50 year old design.

PRS made a few of their own "improvements" in the Singlecut model, the benefits of which could be debated.

Of course half of you will say the LP can't be bettered, but we all know what we think of Claptons assertion the the Strat can't be bettered, so don't give me that old gem ;)

So, what aspects of the original LP design do you think could be better?

I'm thinking: lighter weight but still thick bodied (hollow?), different bridge, smoother/slimmer neck joint for full 22 fret access, smaller headstock with properly aligned tuners, less plastic crap that dampens resonance like binding, inlays, pickup surrounds and pickguards etc...

Was PRS on the right track, or was he wasting his time on a public not that interested in guitar evolution?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

There are plenty of bits than can be improved on a Gibson Les Paul. Lets face it, thet guitar was designed in the early 50's. It was a good design at the time, same as the strat. One of those things that was created to be funtional and pleasing to the eye, but at the same time just worked so well.
If only a 10th of what we see these days was such a lasting icon.

Playing a Les Paul is like driving an old Porsche. You put up with the little bits that are not as good as a new Jap import, no electric windows, funny pedals and handling that requires some skill to get it right. But thats the fun, It has a blood line that is a major part of the whole thing. I will admit that 90% of most newer guitars are more user friendly. I just like it warts and all. :wink:

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

My major moan was with the cacky tuners - used to be those white plastic knobby ones but I changed them all to grovers yonks ago. Why Gibson still put them out is beyond me for as TG notes they get loose and sloppy - interestingly on the 'new' guitars over the years, such as L6 etc., Gibson did use grovers or similar.

Would also have been nice to have coil splitting built in - think one of the 80's one's did (LP artist) but it's not stock or normal option - unlike say the old Guild G100 that did.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

For me - I love the look, but if I were to buy another, I'd want: lighter, better balance, body cutaway for fat guts (LOL) long scale version (they might already make them, I don't know.

Deel beautiful purple with matching headstock is a given!

BUT: if I really wanted one again - I wouldn't care about those things, really - like TMG says - I'd just buy one which fitted me (and was purple).
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

DrRog wrote:Deel beautiful purple with matching headstock is a given!.
Maybe one of these? :wink:

Rog

Post by Rog »

Whoo Hoo!
I'll have two! LOL

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I would just like to say also that my Les Paul played into my twin with a bit of Volume and some overdrive just can't be beaten for sheer fun to play.

Rog

Post by Rog »

You have a twin?

Lord help us - two TMGs............

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Yeah twice the lefty power, like a good cleaning product :P