Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Guitar fixed with tape ;)

Post by Tsuken »

...insulation tape, at least.

I had a bright idea yesterday, and decided not to proceed with my drop C warlock project - rather to hot up the Ibanez a bit - and also then to put the super distortion pickup which was going in the Warlock into the Yamaha instead. Open up the back: "oh samick!" What a mess of wiring (individual pickup switches designed by yours truly, plus a series/parallel switch). Lots of wires. Figure out where to solder the S.D.'s wires. Trouble doing that because the shielding braid stuff took about 1/4 hour to get enough heat to melt the solder :? Finally get that on. Tune it up, plug it in - fantasmic. 8) Screw the covers back on. Plug it in ....

....SAMICK!!!!!!! The bastard wasn't working any more! Pulled it apart: bit(s) of bodgy wiring were coming into contact with the shielding braid stuff on the humbucker's wiring, as there's heaps of it looped around the control cavity. Spend 1/2 hour looking for the insulation tape; which I'm sure was just around here somewhere.... :roll: Now works perfectly.

Still a bit mushy (particularly on the lower drive channel, strangely), but better clarity, and OMG! the pick harmonics! No wonder I used to get so many on the Samick when it had that Super Distortion pup in it. Absolutely fantasmic. 8) (And before you ask why I'm not putting it in the S470; (1) it's cream, not black :P, and more importantly (2) the clean tone is "harder" than I want for the S 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Post by Bg »

insulation tape covers a mulititude of sins....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Pulling a MacGyver? Did that when I mounted the Texas Special in the bridge of my strat. Who needs a soldering iron?

I suppose I'd better get Ash to do a proper job when I get a chance....
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

My 1st bass was a bitsa that I got from someone I was at school with - P-bass copy body and neck minus the frets, some EMG guitar pickup, a scratch plate cut out of a bit of clear plastic, and when I opened it up, I found the wiring was held together with masking tape. Worked ok though.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

:lol: I did notice when I looked in the Yamaha, that I had tried to insulate joins by covering them in sellotape (this was years ago, and I had no insulation tape at the time :oops: ) So I covered all the sellotaped joins with insulation tape last night too 8)

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

lol, I would hate to think how many rolls of sellotape and insulation tape I've been through doing dodgy repairs on guitars, car stereos, computers, and just about anything else that has wires in it :lol:

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

There is nothing that can't be fixed with enough duct tape ;) - or if there is, it probably wasn't worth fixing anyway, so you should forget about it...and buy some more duct tape to fix the worthwhile stuff :P

Here be bloggins

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Tsuken wrote:There is nothing that can't be fixed with enough duct tape ;) - or if there is, it probably wasn't worth fixing anyway, so you should forget about it...and buy some more duct tape to fix the worthwhile stuff :P
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/0153 ... 937519.htm

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Tsuken wrote:There is nothing that can't be fixed with enough duct tape ;) - or if there is, it probably wasn't worth fixing anyway, so you should forget about it...and buy some more duct tape to fix the worthwhile stuff :P
Not the kind of thing you want to overhear your doctor saying.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

gregtarr wrote:
Not the kind of thing you want to overhear your doctor saying.
For medicine the equivalent would be: "There is no body cavity that can't be reached with a #14 needle and a good strong arm" ;)

And rotflol at the t-shirt on TM 8)

Here be bloggins

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

extremely off topic...

anybody wants a stick?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auct ... d=22931483

ash can this be used to build a guitar neck? :mrgreen:

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

angry_young_poet wrote:extremely off topic...

anybody wants a stick?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auct ... d=22931483

ash can this be used to build a guitar neck? :mrgreen:
:? People are bidding. It's up to $28. w3rd

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Post by Bg »

Tsuken wrote::lol: I did notice when I looked in the Yamaha, that I had tried to insulate joins by covering them in sellotape (this was years ago, and I had no insulation tape at the time :oops: ) So I covered all the sellotaped joins with insulation tape last night too 8)
As a qualified electrical and mechanical engineer I would say - if it works do it, how long has the sellotape lasted ;) it isn't a safety critical application and I do draw the line at twisted wires but sellotape can be bloody handy ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Tsuken wrote: For medicine the equivalent would be: "There is no body cavity that can't be reached with a #14 needle and a good strong arm" ;)
We learnt about cavities on Friday. I'm not sure I get the whole joke here. Just a nagging feeling that I'm missing something.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

gregtarr wrote:
Tsuken wrote: For medicine the equivalent would be: "There is no body cavity that can't be reached with a #14 needle and a good strong arm" ;)
We learnt about cavities on Friday. I'm not sure I get the whole joke here. Just a nagging feeling that I'm missing something.
Once you've stuck a few needles and drains into various bits of people you'll laugh louder ;)

Here be bloggins