Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

tasty
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

strange buzz

Post by tasty »

Hey there,

im having this strange buzz sound thats really gettin on my nerve... the buzz gets louder as i increase the guitars volume, and whenever i touch the strings or any metal part of the guitar the buzz goes away. How the hell can I get rid of this problem?

recently i changed my pickups and i did the wiring on my own, which could be the reason to the problem but I checked the wirings today and there wasn't any signs of bad soldering or touching wires (from my POV).
Im using an Ibanez guitar and a roland cube15.

thanks.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I think those symptoms indicate that you have the earth and output wires the wrong way around on one of the pickups. If you touch the polepeices of a pickup and it stops buzzing, that one is probably ok, but if it still buzzes, that one may be wrong.

You have the Blue Velvet and a Norton, what is the other pickup? If its not a DiMarzio, then the colour codes will be different.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

Make sure you have a ground wire running to the bridge

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

the other pickup is a stock pup
i checked it today and found out that i got the blue velvet wired wrongly... but even after i switch them theres still a slight buzz, not as bad as before thou. Btw, is it ok to have the metal wiring expose? cause some of the wires I just pull em out instead of cutting the rubber layer.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

With the stock pickup you might need to check that it is in phase with the blue velvet in that secon position. Does the buzz change with switch position, or is it the same all the time. If it changes, its to do with the pickups, if its the same, the problem is something after the switch like the volume/tone pots. As the Blue Velvet is a single coil it will always have some hum in the middle position, and without full sheilding there will always be some. Bring the guitar over next time you're nearby and I'll check it, no charge.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Ash ur too nice!

I have to send my guitars up to you for some rewiring (home hand mess up)

goldtop0
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by goldtop0 »

I get that same problem depending on the electrical enviroment I'm in.
LP + Fender and Marshall combos. At home no problem,at practice(at close quarters with other band members) there's a buzz,at a live venue no problem.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

I think i'll resolder everything 2nite... and if theres still a prob ill prolly drop have ash the expert to examine it :)

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

goldtop0 wrote:I get that same problem depending on the electrical enviroment I'm in.
LP + Fender and Marshall combos. At home no problem,at practice(at close quarters with other band members) there's a buzz,at a live venue no problem.
Hey Goldtop that could be a real nasty - check the power outlet at your practice site has an actual earth to it, sometime people (illegaly) wire the place up themselves and leave out 'unneccessary' items like earth wires!
You can't do THAT on stage!

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

goldtop0 wrote:I get that same problem depending on the electrical enviroment I'm in.
Hey Goldtop that could be a real nasty - check the power outlet at your practice site has an actual earth to it, sometime people (illegaly) wire the place up themselves and leave out 'unneccessary' items like earth wires!
You can't do THAT on stage!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Among my many talents, I am also a registered electrician, although I haven't worked as such for many years. B45 is quite correct. Hums which appear only at specific locations are normally a sign of an electrical grounding problem. This can be serious. Get it checked.

I'd advise all band members to buy one of those little plug checking devices, which check for polarity and grounding. Looks just like a plug top, but has lights on it, indicating fault conditions. It may save your life...

Here's a tip: If you at a gig and get a buzz in the PA, or get a tingle when your lips touch the mic, you have an electrical problem. The normal reason for this is people plugging their gear into different socket outlets round the stage. The cure is simple - everyone should plug into the same outlet (via multiboxes of course). This ensures that all amps are raised to the same potential and therefore hums, buzzes and shocks are minimised.

Plug the lights elsewhere, but all amps into one. You have at least 3.5 kW available to you, so there's not normally a problem.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...