Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Pimp my instrument

Post by Rog »

Inspired by the recent thread from Dennis mentioning "Pimp my Geetar", how about we use this thread to show how we've pimped our own guitars and basses? (pimping keyboards and drums just isn't the same, is it)

Who knows what we could inspire in others.

I'll be doing that P bass project starting next week, so I'll do some before, during and after shots and also some comments on how it all went & was it worth it to me etc.

I'd love to enjoy your work also. :D
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

Just in case no-one has seen my strat ;)

Japanese strat circa late 1980's. I really hate that fotoflame look, especially in Green. But it was a bargain!
First to go were the pickups, japanese ceramic ones not my type of pup. I put in a set from a powerhouse strat then later some Custom Shop 54's. I kept the dummy coil from the powerhouse in an effort to stop some of that buzzing as the CS54's don't have a RWRP pup in the middle.

Eventually I decide I can't live with that body any longer, rather than strip it I decided to make a new one. Bought a block of Ash, from Ash. And after a couple of weeks hand shaping and hand routing, the result is...

Closer to what I want and it does change the tone a little.... I've lived with this for a while now but feel it needs a twotone sunburst to give me the vintage vibe I'm looking for. Currently in Ash's awaiting the spray job :) More pics to follow when finished!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

Sunburst looks so damn cool! and in my personal and un-experianced opinion you did a kick ass job wiht that body BG.

I recently brought a shitty old yeeha of TM and im planning to built my own body out of that, so ill upload sopme before pics when it arives
"I am the Black Wizard"

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

hey bluesgeek... getting a block from ash... does that mean you got a piece of wood from ash and saw, shape, trim into that strat body?

god, the neck and body is beautiful

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

yeah it came as a block about the right thickness (it was two pieces edge glued together) then I had to turn it into a strat body! Lucky I had the original one to copy off though.... Its nicely figured but I think it needs to have the sunburst finish to please me :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

i wish i had the right equipment to build my own guitar :(

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

I am working on the whole idea and advertising it.

If anyone is interested in me pimping up their rubbish imported guitar pm me and we can work a price. Our aim is to make bad guitar rock at a good price.

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

Looking forward to ure 1st pimp :)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

JLoo, you should call your venture "Pimp Your Stomp" :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

god... then there would be hellalot of pimp daddys here :P with ash being the big daddy

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Like this:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

lol

You guys rock. Can the real pimp daddy please stand up!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

The real pimp daddy has to have a lo rider too - pref a pink Cadillac... anyone owning up??
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

My pimped (and "pimped" is definitely the right word. ;) ) crappy Jap strat copy:

My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

tasty
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tasty »

now thats what i call PimpED!

whats that furry little thing doing down there?!!