Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Joshua_Zahn
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

What kind of paint do you use?

Post by Joshua_Zahn »

What kind of paint, primers and lacquers do you use when painting a guitar? I've decided to 'av a go at making a frankenbass, out of an old ibanez p/j special. I've removed the old paint and I've got a lot of sanding to do to get it nice and smooth, the old paint job was pretty bung, but now I need to think about what kind of finish to put on it.

Anyway were would someone get the paints required? I'm guessing someplace like mitre 10, but what particular types/brands of paint are recommened.

Oh and can you get matt lacquer?

PS: Is there somekind of product you can use to fill in dings in the body? I can't sand them out 'cause they're pretty deep, but I'm guessing theres somekind of woodfiller I can use and then sand over to make smooth before applying the paint?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Use a waterbased grain filler like Red Devil, and then all acrylic lacquer - primer, then colour, then clear. You can get matt clear, but its easier to buff the gloss out with 0000 steel wool or 2000 wet/dry paper.

Get acrylic lacquer spray cans from an autopaint supplier. Don't use Mitre 10 enamel. It sucks like the proverbial sucky thing.

Also get a 3M carbon face mask and rubber gloves and spray with lots of fresh air. Lacquer is the devil's paint.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand