druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

5 way switching problem.

Post by druz15 »

So I dropped a 5 way switch in my Rory Strat yesterday. You could actually get the "in between" sounds with the 3 way by sticking it in the right position but lately it hasn't been holding so I dropped the 5 way in.

I also changed it so the neck has it's own tone and the bridge and middle have the last tone knob (previously just neck tone / middle tone)

The problem is now position 2 and 4 sound very dark and quiet compared to the other positions, and not at all how positions 2 and 4 should sound (none of that spank /quack / buzzword you'd expect)

from reading up it seems that having two tones active can cause this which explains why position 4 sounds that way, but not position 2 (as they're both on the same tone pot anyway.

Any ideas as to what would cause it?

I'll take the middle pickup out of the tone circuit tonight and see if that helps, if not I guess I can play around with pickup heights and see if that sorts it out
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Re: 5 way switching problem.

Post by calling card »

Dunno, but if you want to Roryfy it more wire the bottom tone pot to all out going signal and leave the middle pot unattached.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: 5 way switching problem.

Post by druz15 »

True, tbh I never use tone but if I ever did it would mostly be on the bridge pup.

Didn't have time to touch the wiring but had another quick play last night, 2 and 4 definitely don't sound right
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks