Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Re: Replacing coil split HBs with P90s

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

TmcB wrote:What were they?

No, crappy soldering won't affect the tone, only if you managed to not connect something.
Longer wires would possibly increase noise and knock some of the top end off.
Since you don't seem convinced with them yet, I'd try and coil the excess somewhere just in case you trim it back too hard.

What value pots are in there? If there's too much twang maybe try lowering the values from 500k to 300k or 250k

As Danny mentioned, pickup heights are pretty crucial with P90's, even more so with the HB sized ones
They're BG Pure90s.

The pots are indeed 500k I believe, so will keep that in mind as an option. Just to be stupid, is it the tone or volume or both I should change?

And will definitely tinker with the height.

Thanks!

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Re: Replacing coil split HBs with P90s

Post by TmcB »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
TmcB wrote:What were they?

No, crappy soldering won't affect the tone, only if you managed to not connect something.
Longer wires would possibly increase noise and knock some of the top end off.
Since you don't seem convinced with them yet, I'd try and coil the excess somewhere just in case you trim it back too hard.

What value pots are in there? If there's too much twang maybe try lowering the values from 500k to 300k or 250k

As Danny mentioned, pickup heights are pretty crucial with P90's, even more so with the HB sized ones
They're BG Pure90s.

The pots are indeed 500k I believe, so will keep that in mind as an option. Just to be stupid, is it the tone or volume or both I should change?

And will definitely tinker with the height.

Thanks!
Good to change them all, but if you could only change two, the effect will be in the changing of the volumes
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz