Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Made some headstock decals

Post by Starfire »

Been mucking around making some headstock decals for my beloved Cabronita. Since I rather like assembling guitars these days (though I have to credit Adrian for this one) I thought I'd come up with a name/design for my imaginary guitar company. :lol: Settled on one of my favourite words (meaning, basically, 'guts') and a sort of tattoo/western style font. Fired up the printer and here are the results:

Had a bit of a boo boo when applying it. Rubbed a bit of the ink off; I only applied a light coat of lacquer to seal the decals. But as the guitar is a relic I think it looks appropriate. Can easily redo it if I find it bugs me.

Thought I'd do something on the back too ala Fender Custom Shop guitars. Made up a serial number based on my birthday, and a model name which is rough translation of the word 'Cabronita.'

Probably not going to win any design awards, but I think they turned out quite well.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Made some headstock decals

Post by JustMatt »

I would love to hear about the how.

also love your translation of Cabronita and the V crest. Imaginary or not, your company is going places.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Very cool. Well done.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Nice work, I was thinking a decal would be something I would put on my headstock, as I never liked the bare look. But turns out I can't be arsed!

Slightly coincidentally, your birthday is the day after mine. Well okay, 20 years and 1 day after mine. Boy do I feel old about now...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2490 times
Been liked: 2803 times

Post by Molly »

That does look great. Nicely done.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:I would love to hear about the how.

also love your translation of Cabronita and the V crest. Imaginary or not, your company is going places.
They're pretty easy to make. I just got some decal paper from the local model (i.e. model and RC cars, planes, etc) shop. It's the inkjet kind as I just have a pretty basic inkjet printer that usually gets used for printing uni work! You can get decal paper suitable for laser printers too which, as I understand it, doesn't require sealing like the inkjet paper does (for obvious reasons).

So after a bit of photoshop designing and testing on plain paper, I printed them on the real thing and sealed with some flat clear lacquer also from the model shop. You can get special 'decal bonder' but lacquer is basically the same and works equally well if not better, I think. I used some Tamiya brand stuff in a rattle can. I've used Testors in the past but it seemed to make the ink bleed. I sprayed three light coats. It dries quickly so you can spray each coat within about half an hour. Could probably have done more coats, but I wanted to keep the decals nice and thin. Obviously, they sit on top of the neck finish (like vintage Fenders, incidentally), so I didn't want the edges to be too obvious.

I let that dry overnight. To apply I dissolved two drops of PVA in 1 cup of water. Dunk the decals in for a couple of seconds and then let them sit for about a minute. Slide them off the backing. Tweezers are useful to position them. Soak the excess water up with a paper towel. Job done! :)

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

That looks brilliant. Great to see the how as well.

I want to put a decal on the guitar Niamh and I made for her last year, and i"m building a parts-o-caster for myself at the moment which I would like to put a decal on since the neck has a fake Charval one that I don't really like on there at the moment (and I've half munted it anyway)

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Thanks for the detailed run down. I had never actually thought that it would be easy enough to make them with a household printer so definitely going to give it a try.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7748 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice work Hamish!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

And one more tip. Don't put paper designed for an ink jet printer into the Art Department's new, expensive and leased laser printer. It melts...

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

I will absolutely keep that in mind. Sounds expensive aaand embarrassing.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

Looks great, I'm just starting to get ideas together for what I'm going to put on my Tele build. The inkjet version seems pretty achievable though. Did you do the relic job on the tuners?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:I will absolutely keep that in mind. Sounds expensive aaand embarrassing.
I've no idea what you're talking about.... ;-)

P.S. Mathew. Looking at that rather nice Neueburemburrembur Reverb on TM there. They are a nice thing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:And one more tip. Don't put paper designed for an ink jet printer into the Art Department's new, expensive and leased laser printer. It melts...
Yep; I did this too. :oops:
Hamish, they look great. I can't figure out how you got the density of black though. All the ones I did were partially transparent; couldn't get any solidity to the colour.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 828 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

looks cool, nice and clean. I like the curve in the main one.
I think they really finish off a build. I had fun designing the decals for my tumbleweed tele.