WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Audio taper v linear pots: advice please

Post by WellyBlues »

Looking at upgrading the P90 in my lap steel to a Kent Armstrong Stealth P90, a noiseless one. Just one bridge pickup. Just wondering what the suggestions are regarding changing the pots. Will try 500s. Some on the internet suggest audio taper for volume and linear for the tone control. Others disagree.

Just wondering what wisdom our crowd has.

Thanks in advance.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Re: Audio taper v linear pots: advice please

Post by WellyBlues »

Actually I will probably go with 250s as I want to tame brightness. Might try some some different caps as well. So audio taper or linear for the tone control?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 564 times

Post by TmcB »

I'd just go for log for everything - doesn't make much difference on the tone control if it's log or lin. Volume you'll definitely want log, otherwise you'll find all the control bunched up at the far end of the sweep.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Use log (audio) taper for both. I would use 500K and also buy some 500K resistors then you can put them across the volume pot if you want to convert it to 250K. Always use 500K for the tone pot as you can just turn it down a bit to 250K and it will have the same effect as 250K pot, then you always have the option of making it a bit brighter if required.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Just as an aside, I've been using no-load pots for my tone controls recently. When "off" the completely disengage from the circuit. So far, good results with clarity being retained when on 10.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Audio taper for everything has worked best for me. Using linear taper for tone pots has always yielded weird results.