To block or not to block, that is the question....

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by 1964 »

The main theory is that sustain/tone is improved.

Post by 1964 »

IIRC, the EC Strat is blocked with a wedge of hard rock maple.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

1964 wrote:The main theory is that sustain/tone is improved.
I know the theory but I'm curious as to the actual results - its an easy job to do, but I've stripped the guitar right down anyway for other jobs (shielding and rewiring) but I'll try it next weekend, or I could block my frankenstrat but I like using the vibrato on that....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Post by 1964 »

> "I know the theory but I'm curious as to the actual results"

Well, AFAICS the theory is only supported by opinion, so ultimately it'll be down to you to add your opinion to the yeas or nays.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

bluesgeek wrote:
1964 wrote:The main theory is that sustain/tone is improved.
I know the theory but I'm curious as to the actual results - its an easy job to do, but I've stripped the guitar right down anyway for other jobs (shielding and rewiring) but I'll try it next weekend, or I could block my frankenstrat but I like using the vibrato on that....
Look obviously you need to ask yourself BG 'am I aware of all the facts??' or 'am I just pushing a point' - these are deep and meaningful questions we should all ask ourselves often especially in regard to strats.

You may think you are doing something else (blocking the tail) but true awesome factual awareness will allow you to offer others (including yourself) really good advice about blocking MIJ strats! Of course this is just my opinion and since I'm not aware of all the facts as I'm not actually there, you obviously cannot credit me or anyone else (say um 1964 for example) who is likewise not there with 'full factual awareness' and thus worthwhile advice. But again that's just my opinion!
You can't do THAT on stage!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

1964 wrote:> "I know the theory but I'm curious as to the actual results"

Well, AFAICS the theory is only supported by opinion, so ultimately it'll be down to you to add your opinion to the yeas or nays.
I was actually hoping for some opinions as to whether to bother or not, I appreciate and acknowledge that there are people on this MB who will have tried it and may wish to say whether they noticed a difference or not. Thanks for your opinion.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Rog wrote:or a gerbil, mayhaps?
ARMAGEDDON!!
Armageddon yourageddon wereagettin older - LOL

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

I must admit BG I have not tried it yet (although I did screw all the screws down nice and tight once) but I DID know someone that tried it once - however he never actually said anything other than he'd once done it and since he did not say what sort of wood he'd used, I probably cannot help you much.

FWIW I did not notice any difference in his tone! Therefore taking a 'factually unaware' approach I'd opine that it seems to make little difference but appears to be one of those fads that crop up frr time to time. I recall someone (EC?? or Rory Gallagher) saying he had blocked it to keep it in tune when he broke a string on stage and that possibly may be how it got started.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I don't like trems so I block mine or put 5 springs on them, My HW1 strat came from the US with a roll of coins wedged in between the body and block. I did the same with my other strat.

I would love a tele type set up on a strat.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

well if rory did it, its good enough for me ;)

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Tatooed Lady in A or E??? cannot recall!

Post by 1964 »

> "Look obviously you need to ask yourself BG 'am I aware of all the facts??' or 'am I just pushing a point' - these are deep and meaningful questions we should all ask ourselves often especially in regard to strats.

"You may think you are doing something else (blocking the tail) but true awesome factual awareness will allow you to offer others (including yourself) really good advice about blocking MIJ strats! Of course this is just my opinion and since I'm not aware of all the facts as I'm not actually there, you obviously cannot credit me or anyone else (say um 1964 for example) who is likewise not there with 'full factual awareness' and thus worthwhile advice. But again that's just my opinion!"

:roll:

> "I must admit BG I have not tried it yet (although I did screw all the screws down nice and tight once) but I DID know someone that tried it once - however he never actually said anything other than he'd once done it and since he did not say what sort of wood he'd used, I probably cannot help you much.

"FWIW I did not notice any difference in his tone! Therefore taking a 'factually unaware' approach I'd opine that it seems to make little difference but appears to be one of those fads that crop up frr time to time. I recall someone (EC?? or Rory Gallagher) saying he had blocked it to keep it in tune when he broke a string on stage and that possibly may be how it got started."

:roll:

Post by 1964 »

bluesgeek wrote:
1964 wrote:> "I know the theory but I'm curious as to the actual results"

I was actually hoping for some opinions as to whether to bother or not, I appreciate and acknowledge that there are people on this MB who will have tried it and may wish to say whether they noticed a difference or not. Thanks for your opinion.
I have purposefully left such advice to others. I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

well I was thinking about trying an MDF block as well as the Ash just to see if the acoustically 'dead' properties of the MDF would make any difference :D

Post by 1964 »

Why not try a brass shim as well for the ultimate sustain/tone test?