Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

help!! guitars intonation screwed up??

Post by Mike_Hosking »

just decided to have a jam on the lancewood, and hmm, its outta tune, but no its not, the intonation is screwed up, im getting a D# on my tuner (guitars in Eb) on the open e, and then the same on the 12th fret, so intonation there seems sweet, but on the say 4th fret where it should be G, its actaully like higher than G, by quite alot, the tuner says plus 25 cent, not sure wot that thing means tho, but it aint rite, please dont tell me is a deformed piece of junk :( coz i really like this cheap piece of junk :D does anyone kno wots happening? and how can i fix this? :?:
i just cheaked out a few more strings, the others are doing it a little, but the low e is way out. :cry:

oh yea forgot to say ive lowered the floyd rose into the body a bit, with the two studs its pivoting on, not much, but if its the problem, up it'll come, i think its the neck, but i dno.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Oh, grab a chisel... you'll just have to move that 4th fret up a little, no problem.

:wink:

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Are they the original strings? If so change them.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

they are the original strings, changing thems not a problem, getting a packet is lol

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Sounds like you need to call 0800sendmesomedamnstringspleaseash!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

lmao, hang on let me get off the internet and try that number.

9 - 42's, im good for 2 packets, tell me how much, you should remember my address by now haha.

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

whoops, u mite not have my new address, ill PM you ash.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Sounds like its a Lancewood. They are suppose to sound like that. :)
Last edited by TMG 03 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Your guitar is fine - it's just that someone's put a curse on your tuner! LOL.

If your instrument HAS a zero fret (one up right next to and just by the nut) a nasty little fault that can happen is that the string rides ABOVE the zero fret and it's length is from the nut to the bridge - enough to put the intonation out - have to cut the slot deeper in the nut to cure it BUT I don't think your guitar has a zeros fret from memory.

On second thoughts do check the batteries in your tuner - most are digital nowdays (simply will not work if battery is too low) but some of the older analogue ones gave you funny readings if batteries were on the fritz.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Re: help!! guitars intonation screwed up??

Post by Tehhaxorr »

Visionless_Guitarist wrote:just decided to have a jam on the lancewood, and hmm, its outta tune, but no its not, the intonation is screwed up, im getting a D# on my tuner (guitars in Eb) on the open e, and then the same on the 12th fret, so intonation there seems sweet, but on the say 4th fret where it should be G, its actaully like higher than G, by quite alot, the tuner says plus 25 cent, not sure wot that thing means tho, but it aint rite, please dont tell me is a deformed piece of junk :( coz i really like this cheap piece of junk :D does anyone kno wots happening? and how can i fix this? :?:
i just cheaked out a few more strings, the others are doing it a little, but the low e is way out. :cry:

oh yea forgot to say ive lowered the floyd rose into the body a bit, with the two studs its pivoting on, not much, but if its the problem, up it'll come, i think its the neck, but i dno.
D# is Eflat hahahahaha!

You need some serious theory lessons ;)
"I am the Black Wizard"

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1376 times
Been liked: 2106 times

Post by GrantB »

Quick cancel that string order....

Actually, a good thread - listen with ears first, and use tuner later. And, know that # and f's are related.,...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Or just read his posts properly and try to understand better.

His guitar is tuned in Eb... I'm sure no-one has a problem comprehending that. The tuner displays an Eb as D#. It doesn't know what an Eb is... get it?

VG's problem is not at Eb at either the nut or the 12th fret (they both measure Eb/D#), it is somewhere either side of the 4th fret. Either there are frets out of place (which you could probably see) or there is a problem with the string. Usually its variable stiffness caused by bad winding or its a patch of dirt, grease or oil in/on the string making its density (and thus resonant pitch) vary over the length of the string. I've seen that cause harmonics to occur an inch away from their usual fret. Changing the strings is the solution to that problem.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

[quote="ash"]Or just read his posts properly and try to understand better.
quote]

Yes, that's an option too....lmao...talk about skim reading

mmm, I did have an old Les Paul Studio rip off once that the frets were worn flat between 4-8 and I swear I could hear wrong intonation because of the flat surface pushing the string lift off point closer to the bridge. Each octave would measure right on the tuner, but be sharp-ish for those frets. Man I hated that guitar...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

VG, what Lancewood do you have...model wise? Any comments (aside from the above)? Thinking about one for a friend...seem reasonable for the cash....cheers

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

i need theory lessons?, i have NCEA level one music, only failed the aural part, you knobs need english or you mite want reading lessons first so you can do english haha lol.

nah its not the tuner, its out, i can hear it, thats why ive plugged the tuner in, and i actaully just put a new battery in, cause i left it on over night, that was smart. and no, the tuner dont read flats, and you have to know about flats and sharps before you can even do level one music, im not as stupid as you all think i am lol.

Unique - i have the 320 model, left hander version, its a great cheap guitar i feel, has a nice feel, and has a quick neck, providing it is just the strings causing this problem, its built to a decent standard, the pick-ups sound very clean, but rather yuck in distortion, maybe thats coz of the intonation being screwed, but still, they are still only low end humbuckers, and i beleive the strap buttons are plastic, not good, mine were changed with strap locks tho, so didnt bother me, its up there with the low end ibanez's from my knowledge, my first guitar being a low end ibanez, setting it up was a must tho.