mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: New bridge day

Post by mr_sooty »

I'm interested in this, I have a Gretsch G5622T Centreblock which I bought mainly for a Beatles tribute band. Looks great, plays great, sounds great for twangy early Beatles stuff but kinda shit for anything else. I just swapped the Electromatic Hilotrons out for Electromatic Blacktop Filtertrons I got off ebay (super easy thanks to the solderless clips) and it sounds... I dunno.... Kinda the same, slightly higher output maybe, a bit better with gain. I thought it would be more of a change. Didn't get proper Filtertrons because I didn't want to spend too much and also because of the different mounts. Curious to hear if these are a pretty straight forward replacement for you and whether you have any issues with the pickup rings having the 2 hole, 1 hole thing going on.

Mine has a Les Paul style TOM bridge, no wooden block, which I changed for a roller bridge. Interested in things I can potentially do to make my Gretsch better because it sure looks the part.

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

It's an easy replacement because it is supplied with a wee adapter for the screw holes. Same with TV jones. The difficulty is replacing them with vintage gretsch pups that were body mount. For those you need to make your own plate or buy one from some even more obscure place in the US.

I'd say the compton made my mid-range geet sound and feel closer to a pro line. At least to my little brain

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Cool will be interesting to find out what you think of them.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

quyet wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:39 pm A set of these from Aus, came to about $260 during his sale https://www.martinasmith.com.au/collect ... ertron-set
Just looking at the prices on that site - that was some deal you got!

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

mr_sooty wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:42 pm. I just swapped the Electromatic Hilotrons out for Electromatic Blacktop Filtertrons
ah yeah how much did you get the blacktops for? I'll be selling mine and I'm not sure how much to ask eh

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

I think about $160 the pair after shipping and dollar conversion etc. If I had known I would have grabbed yours! But yeah they're not much of an upgrade from the Hilotrons. Not really surprising just thought it was worth a shot. I would have got what you got if I had known about that deal to be honest.

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

I was planning to pop them on trademe - starting at 100 for the pair

And yes, folks report the the blacktop filtertrons with a row of pole pieces removed sound exactly like the electromatic hilos, just humbucking. Probs very similar construction?

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

Speaking of Gretsches... before I order some new cosmetics, anyone wanna swap? I have a clear 5420 guard, looking for a gold, cream or black guard. Also gold rings...

worth a shot

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

quyet wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:30 pm I was planning to pop them on trademe - starting at 100 for the pair

And yes, folks report the the blacktop filtertrons with a row of pole pieces removed sound exactly like the electromatic hilos, just humbucking. Probs very similar construction?
The Electromatic Hilotrons are humbucking too, so yep probably exactly.

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

mr_sooty wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:53 pm
quyet wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:30 pm I was planning to pop them on trademe - starting at 100 for the pair

The Electromatic Hilotrons are humbucking too, so yep probably exactly.
Oh those superhilos? Yeah v similar to blacktops probs just a different top (g logo) and sans some pole pieces

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

quyet wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:35 pm Speaking of Gretsches... before I order some new cosmetics, anyone wanna swap? I have a clear 5420 guard, looking for a gold, cream or black guard. Also gold rings...

worth a shot
I had some clear rings - I spray painted the back with black paint and I got my black rings. This I believe is how Gretcsh do it. And I would think the pickguard would be the same.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

if anyone wants some HS filters I found a bloke in the US who will sell a pair for 200nzd

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

quyet wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:59 pm if anyone wants some HS filters I found a bloke in the US who will sell a pair for 200nzd
Oooooooohhhh.......

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Do you know if he has the adaptors for the electromatic mount?

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

No adapters... could use popsicle sticks tho..