werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Strat pickup mods

Post by werdna »

A lot of players think the treble pickup sounds a bit too trebly. I wired this pickup to the bottom tone knob, and then dialed the tone back to 5 the whole time. The result is a thicker tone and I have a pickup that sounds good enough to play single note riffs and lead. By some it's called the Eric Johnson mod. Cannot recommend highly enough doing this.

However the best mod is to get rid of the bridge pickup and put in a humbucker. This mod gives you a great tone without having to meddle with the tone knob, and a small volume jump which is necessary for lead work to punch over the top. I won't do this mod because my strat is a CS reissue and I'd damage the resale value spectacularly. Super strats are a great invention. You can get funky tones on position 2, and two great lead tones on 1 and 5. You get heavy riffing tones on position 5. You know all this already, but I think I have finally come around after years between toggling between Les Pauls and teles/strats.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Strat pickup mods

Post by Bg »

Just get a single coil sized humbucker. Hot rails etc... or a new ssh pickguard then swap back if/when you sell.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 am Just get a single coil sized humbucker. Hot rails etc... or a new ssh pickguard then swap back if/when you sell.
Twice I have bought and installed Seymour Duncan Lil 59s.
Twice I have immediately wondered why.

But I do hve GAS for a proper HSS.

Tone pot on the bridge pup is an essential Strat mod.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Or, you can wire the rear tone control so that it brings in the middle pickup in series, so you get two humbucker options made by front and middle, or rear and middle.

I have this wiring on the Strat I just built, and I absolutely love it. The sound is not the same as a normal hum I let, more like a wide range humbucker on a Tele. It is awesome. And it still works like a normal Strat when you want it to.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

My answer was to buy a set of the bellbird strat pickups from Mr Glyn, now I have a bridge pickup that is not a trebley piece of crap :mrgreen: the stock texmex set sounded like pants IMO.

I'm with you on the humbucker in the bridge idea though, gives you the ultimate versatility in a strat, but likewise my 60s roadworn is only routed for single coils and I don't want to mess with it, so I'm thinking of putting together a super strat but with HSS pickups, just dithering over whether I'd want to stick to vintage style like the bellbirds I have in my current strat or go to the hotter ones Glyn makes... first world problems :lol: the main thing is I know with my amp lower output pickups sound much better to me so that will likely make the decision easier!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Big fan of HSS here for all the reasons mentioned. I've got an SD JB in my ex. Oleg strat. 250k pots and no tone control. Counter intuitive one would think, but it works really well, especially for them times when you need to be heard. It splits really well for the quacky positions too.

I'm intrigued with using the back tone as a blend. Going to look into that.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Having a 500/250K volume pot helps with the HSS setup.
Here’s a vid I made explaining how mine is wired

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

First mod on my strat was just to change the wiring to a master vol/tone and remove the pot closest to the strings which I kept whacking.