Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: The Impossible Complexity of Wire

Post by Danger Mouse »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:25 pm Thank you to Mr. Horner for your kind offer and to messers Lyle and Rectified Amps for recommending a wire I asked about. After consultation with the app on his phone, the Jaycar man informed me it was unsuitable.

Don't ask me why, I don't know why!

So.. a question: Traditionally, a solid core is used. I have been informed this is better suited to high impedance signals. Is this correct? Why is solid core used?
My advice, don't take advice from people who work in Jaycar.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jaycar person "Can I help you"
me "no, probably never"
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by captainfruitbat »

Bg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:49 pm jaycar person "Can I help you"
me "no, probably never"
Not just Jaycar. Happens to me everywhere. Went to JB Hi Fi the other day to buy a new phone and had to show the sales guy how to use their own website to look up features and specifications so he could answer the questions I was asking him. My wife was in the background desperately trying to keep a straight face while I just got more and more frustrated....

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:25 pm So.. a question: Traditionally, a solid core is used. I have been informed this is better suited to high impedance signals. Is this correct? Why is solid core used?
I'm no audiophile, but I'm not able to tell the difference by listening which of my pickups have the old school braided shielded solid core wire and which have the 4 teeny tiny pencil dick stranded wire.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

JHorner wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:20 pm I'm not able to tell the difference by listening which of my pickups have the old school braided shielded solid core wire and which have the 4 teeny tiny pencil dick stranded wire.
This is reassuring in a few ways.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

My father (RIP) used to give me so much grief about the snake oil nonsense that we have drummed into us about boutique amps. He had a PHD in electrical engineering, and his line when I said something (silly) about wires and components and the like was “someone better remember to tell the electricity that”.

Edit: to be fair he also told me we were using valves wrong… he didn’t have a musical bone in his body

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by captainfruitbat »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:25 pm
So.. a question: Traditionally, a solid core is used. I have been informed this is better suited to high impedance signals. Is this correct? Why is solid core used?
The solid core vs stranded argument is one I've seen for higher voltage/power applications or data cables. I haven't seen a compelling argument on it either way for guitar wiring. Voltage and current in guitars is tiny, and by the time the signal hits your 6 inches of solid or stranded hook up wire, it has already passed through half a kilometer of hair-thin, high resistance wire in the pickup. In that context, the small length of wire you use for hook up will make no difference to the signal. Of course, there are other factors - robustness and ease of soldering. I would take stranded over solid for both of those factors

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:45 pm
Slowy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:16 pm
Bg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:18 pm Jaycar, its only fucking wire mate.....
"I went to Jaycar to buy more. The helpful chap there determined they had examples of everything I didn't need and nothing I did."
Yes I saw this, but you should have slapped him and just bought something - why even ask? if it looks like wire, tastes like wire and quacks like wire - its wire!
You are confusing me with someone who has your IQ.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Thank you all for your generous offers and advice. I want to do a good job of this but if it really makes no difference, I'm dumping at least 50 meters of wire a week at work, I'll save a bit of that and get on with it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

For it to work, any wire will do. However, I prefer to use the braided wire as you can then use the inside wire for the signal and earth the braid to the pots and jack earth to minimize emf hitting the signal wires.

This sort of does the same as if you were to line/clad the pickup cavity with copper sheeting and earth that. (Faraday's cage etc).

Anyway, go ahead with the leftover bits from work and save me some too please. What colours do you have? Wire the bridge and neck with different colours so you can trace thing s more easily.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:35 am Anyway, go ahead with the leftover bits from work and save me some too please.
How many kilos do you want?
Jay wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:35 am I prefer to use the braided wire as you can then use the inside wire for the signal and earth the braid to the pots and jack earth to minimize emf hitting the signal wires.
Are you talking about coaxial cable?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:41 am
Jay wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:35 am Anyway, go ahead with the leftover bits from work and save me some too please.
Jay wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:35 am I prefer to use the braided wire as you can then use the inside wire for the signal and earth the braid to the pots and jack earth to minimize emf hitting the signal wires.
If you are dumping kilos, then the local metal scrap yard near to you will pay nicely for copper....
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:44 am
If you are dumping kilos, then the local metal scrap yard near to you will pay nicely for copper....
Not when the plastic has to be stripped off it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:04 am
Jay wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:44 am

Not when the plastic has to be stripped off it.
Just throw it on the bonfire like the pikeys do...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 293 times

Post by murky »

All this talk of wiring reminded me of this pic McPherson posted a while back. Who doesn’t love a clean cavity?!?!
Attachments
B5148F44-F724-42C0-8097-CEC07A36B354.jpeg
B5148F44-F724-42C0-8097-CEC07A36B354.jpeg (225.02 KiB) Viewed 2050 times