GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Seymour Duncan Psyclone Humbuckers

Post by GrantB »

Morning all.

I went to buy the above pickups from Music Planet recently as I saw them advertised. Someone else had beaten me to it. I got these from Macdaddy Music in the states instead. Ive always found their service to be top notch if you're looking for a trusted seller. Price was the same as MP, so credit to our MP peeps there.

I didn't measure the neck, but the bridge came in at around 7.85k. For any Filtertron that is HOT. Mind you, Filters are hard to associate output with resistance. My old DuoJet has SuperTrons which read 4.5k yet destroy the front end of amps.

So, how do they sound. A true 50/50 of Gibson and Gretsch. In an R7 they are wide range sounding with full bass and crunchy sparkly top end. They drive the amp as hard as any PAF yet retain a little more clarity. No lower mid mush which some/most PAF repro's have these days (originals do not). In some ways, the mid range to the bottom end sound more like a PAF than anything. Yet the top has that Gretsch thing going on.

They do look a bit weird being full size, and more going on up top vs a Gibson bucker.

Keepers.
Attachments
IMG_2350.jpeg
IMG_2350.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 2754 times
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: Seymour Duncan Psyclone Humbuckers

Post by jeremyb »

Nice, GFS has been doing a pickup like this for many years, I had a set of theirs that I put in the 5120 I owned!

https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Retrot ... _c_99.html
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Indeed. I had a set of those in a Les Paul around about 2005. These are definitely more wide ranging in the tones and tighter/punchier in the attack.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

DCR has very little to do with output. To determine output you need the inductance reading, which for some reason many manufacturers are reluctant to include on spec sheets.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Aaron at Macdaddy is one of our key dealers. Small world 🙂

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Mr Peterson sent his card with the last order.