Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3508 times
Been liked: 719 times

Mr Glyn Minx mini-hums

Post by Cdog »

Has anybody tried these?

Curious on how they sound, can't find a demo online. I have a PRS Soapbar SE, with stock P90s... it's fun but I want to try something less mid-heavy as I'm in a covers band where I play a lot of clean as well as dirt. I feel like these might cover that ground well, and as a bonus be hum free. With the same footprint as the P90s... potentially could be a convenient mod rather than getting a new guitar :think:

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Mr Glyn Minx mini-hums

Post by NZTone.e »

I’m similarly curious about his blacksand hb sized p90s but I find pickup demos completely useless to listen too on the web…

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1637 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

You could try the DiMarzio DP240/241 but you would need to adapt a pickup ring to fit them as they are smaller than standard P90. I really like them but no idea how they compare to the Minx
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Jay wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 pm You could try the DiMarzio DP240/241 but you would need to adapt a pickup ring to fit them as they are smaller than standard P90. I really like them but no idea how they compare to the Minx
I checked these out, thanks for the suggestion. Also, heard a demo of Paul Gilbert playing his signature Dimarzio MiniHums, they sound great!
I smell GAS. :lol:

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1637 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Cdog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:31 pm
Jay wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 pm You could try the DiMarzio DP240/241 but you would need to adapt a pickup ring to fit them as they are smaller than standard P90. I really like them but no idea how they compare to the Minx
I checked these out, thanks for the suggestion. Also, heard a demo of Paul Gilbert playing his signature Dimarzio MiniHums, they sound great!
I smell GAS. :lol:
Here a shitty video of how they sit in the mix... according to an old Coolpix camera. Solo at around 2 minutes

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

NZTone.e wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 pm I’m similarly curious about his blacksand hb sized p90s but I find pickup demos completely useless to listen too on the web…
I have a set of these that I’m not using if you’d like to give them a try.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender

Post by NZTone.e »

bender wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:05 am
NZTone.e wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 pm I’m similarly curious about his blacksand hb sized p90s but I find pickup demos completely useless to listen too on the web…

That would be wicked, I’ll have a quick look into it, and let you know, have you tried them yourself though?

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

NZTone.e wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:35 am

That would be wicked, I’ll have a quick look into it, and let you know, have you tried them yourself though?
Yep. Had them in my duesenberg for a while. They sound great. Great p-90 sounds, with a bit of top end shimmer which makes them really suit clean tones.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender

Post by NZTone.e »

bender wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am

Yep. Had them in my duesenberg for a while. They sound great. Great p-90 sounds, with a bit of top end shimmer which makes them really suit clean tones.

Oh, too shimmery for drive?

I don’t really use clean, not really low gain either, more that middle range gain type stuff, but clarity is also important…

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7756 times
Been liked: 4192 times

Post by jeremyb »

I would blindly buy any of Glyns pickups, they all do exactly what he says they do, the man is amazing!

Best thing is to chat to him directly and tell him what you’re after and he can tweak the pickups to your needs :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

NZTone.e wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:06 pm
bender wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am

Oh, too shimmery for drive?

I don’t really use clean, not really low gain either, more that middle range gain type stuff, but clarity is also important…
No, they sound great with drive too- especially low to medium gain.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:19 pm I would blindly buy any of Glyns pickups, they all do exactly what he says they do, the man is amazing!

Best thing is to chat to him directly and tell him what you’re after and he can tweak the pickups to your needs :-)
Cheers jb, I sent him a message today. :)

Heard this yt demo of mini humbuglers, love the sound.

Q: why can't these guys play chords?
All noodle and no meat... too much carbs bro! :lol: