Distortion pedals

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by TMG 03 »

Most people think Mesa Is Creed. Thats because over the past 5 years people were so desperate for rock music the actually paid cold hard cash for that dribble and then they think thats mesa.

3 Doors down have alot to answer for as well.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Capt. Black »

thehenderson wrote:haha

it just pisses me off

the two marshalls I've had have been all about the power amp. But marshall make models like the 900 and 2000 series that are way more about the pre amp. Real different sound.
Ha funny. I always forget about those models.

Somehow, in my mind I see a JTM45, 1959, 1987, possibly a Bluesbreaker combo and at a pinch a JCM800 as pretty much the whole range. RI's and variants included.
Oh and a 200Watt Major as the holy grail item. When are they gonna do a RI one of them.

I've used a 900 and a bunch of others and I still forget they exist.

I have a soft spot for JTM60 combos. Great value. But otherwise... blinkered I guess. Uhuhuhuh.

:D

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

TMG 03 wrote:Most people think Mesa Is Creed. Thats because over the past 5 years people were so desperate for rock music the actually paid cold hard cash for that dribble and then they think thats mesa.

3 Doors down have alot to answer for as well.
YES!

spanky cleans with chorus coupled with super buzzy and bassy distortion

SO BAD

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

machina wrote:In the end however I put aside all pedals and went with rack gear, because it's so much better. Just ask thehenderson. :wink:
Funny how it goes, eh? In the end I put it all aside and went for nuthin but amp.
Still have a few "essential" pedals but hardly ever use them. Tuner once in a while and the wah makes a good footrest at times.

:? :)

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Capt. Black wrote:

it just pisses me off

the two marshalls I've had have been all about the power amp. But marshall make models like the 900 and 2000 series that are way more about the pre amp. Real different sound.
Ha funny. I always forget about those models.

Somehow, in my mind I see a JTM45, 1959, 1987, possibly a Bluesbreaker combo and at a pinch a JCM800 as pretty much the whole range. RI's and variants included.
Oh and a 200Watt Major as the holy grail item. When are they gonna do a RI one of them.

I've used a 900 and a bunch of others and I still forget they exist.

I have a soft spot for JTM60 combos. Great value. But otherwise... blinkered I guess. Uhuhuhuh.

:D
I know exactly what you mean.

For me, the marshall tone has always included 800s because I've always watched alot of punk pop and heavier bands.

But it's strange right, alot of my friends have bought tsls and dsls lately because thats what alot of modern bands are touring with these days. It's weird. I don't get the whole 'a million sounds in the one amp" I'd rather buy and sell untill i find the sound I'm after, and get it down perfect.

On a side note, the plexi you sold me is one of the more flexible amps I've owned. Several VERY different great tones in that box, for both guitar and bass.

But marshall's are about the power amp, right?

...let's not even get into mode 4s...

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Capt. Black wrote:
machina wrote:In the end however I put aside all pedals and went with rack gear, because it's so much better. Just ask thehenderson. :wink:
Funny how it goes, eh? In the end I put it all aside and went for nuthin but amp.
Still have a few "essential" pedals but hardly ever use them. Tuner once in a while and the wah makes a good footrest at times.

:? :)
You know he's just trying to rile me up right?

haha. I'm quite into the pedals. But I'm finding with this plexi that overdrives arn't really nessisary :D

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

thehenderson wrote:You know he's just trying to rile me up right?
Isn't everyone these days? :)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

thehenderson wrote:But it's strange right, alot of my friends have bought tsls and dsls lately because thats what alot of modern bands are touring with these days. It's weird. I don't get the whole 'a million sounds in the one amp" I'd rather buy and sell untill i find the sound I'm after, and get it down perfect.

On a side note, the plexi you sold me is one of the more flexible amps I've owned. Several VERY different great tones in that box, for both guitar and bass.
But isn't that just it? I had an 800 for a while and there was no shortage of great sounds it could do but I was forever twiddling the controls to get the tone that suited the song. Too much. On top of that it wasn't consistant at different volumes. The character of the amp would change with every touch of the master. And I don't mean in subtle ways. It was a totally different amp on 4 to what it was on six.

With my 1959 (The Mule) I can set it and foget it. But there are big variations in sound and tone which come from playing dynamics and guitar volume and tone settings. Piss-easy. Occassionally twiddle the volumes for more or less gain and that's it.

It's a characteristic of any non master-volume amp and I'm fully addicted to it.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

it just pisses me off

I have a JCM2000. I find it can do either, preamp, or power amp distortion. I settle for somewhere in the middle with the gain at 5 and the master at 4 or so on the the lead channel. Rips paint from walls but retains clarity.

900's are generally like angry bees in a jar.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

The Scarecrow wrote:I have a JCM2000. I find it can do either, preamp, or power amp distortion. I settle for somewhere in the middle with the gain at 5 and the master at 4 or so on the the lead channel. Rips paint from walls but retains clarity.
Yeah I've heard good things about some of the 2000s. But I'm getting lazy or is it spoiled. My neighbors haven't said a word about my loud playing. Maybe they're too scared.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3916 times

Post by Bg »

...or deaf
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Capt. Black wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote:I have a JCM2000. I find it can do either, preamp, or power amp distortion. I settle for somewhere in the middle with the gain at 5 and the master at 4 or so on the the lead channel. Rips paint from walls but retains clarity.
Yeah I've heard good things about some of the 2000s. But I'm getting lazy or is it spoiled. My neighbors haven't said a word about my loud playing. Maybe they're too scared.
I practised with band at my flat in a residential area near a main road, school and mall, not one complaint in a year.

I find the DSL's can sound more like older marshalls i.e 800, Plexi etc but the TSL's are just too rough for the most part. I'd buy one at the right price, but find they have three average channels over two very very good ones.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

bluesgeek wrote:...or deaf
Well they would be now. :lol:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I've only owned master volume amps apart from the very frist amp I had, a horrible mesa dual rec

With a power break, it's a plexi in vintage cosmetics that you want.

When you crank the DSL's low gain channel you can get great tone, but DSL's aare so complicated, i find them visually ugly and very hard to manipulate on the spot.

that said, I've been known to run a million ODs. But it'd rather choose my pre amp.

stark
Squier

Post by stark »

Capt. Black wrote:With my 1959 (The Mule) I can set it and foget it. But there are big variations in sound and tone which come from playing dynamics and guitar volume and tone settings. Piss-easy. Occassionally twiddle the volumes for more or less gain and that's it.

It's a characteristic of any non master-volume amp and I'm fully addicted to it.
My experience exactly - I'll never go back to a master volume amp, much less any kind of preamp either - too many gain stages and EQ to twiddle with and keep track of. I'd rather concentrate on my playing dynamics. NMV is the way to go for me - they're the only amps I have now.
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM