Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

For all you wireless folks...

Post by Danger Mouse »

A FYI for those of you with wireless mics/guitar systems.

Interference from parallel-imported wireless devices is already an issue, we have a couple of guys at work who go around hunting baby monitors and the like. Makes for some interesting conversations, trying to explain how a company like VF, Spark or 2Deg can own/control RF spectrum and the cheap monitor purchased from ebay cannot be operated here.

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/policy-and-p ... ne-changes
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: For all you wireless folks...

Post by Eruera »

Just read the FAQ section, it seems a little optimistic for them to suggest that suppliers will buyback now-noncompliant radio mics :lol:

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

It's also not those companies controlling the frequency. It's the government separating out our clustered frequency space so that emergency frequencies and digital television can operate un-interrupted.

Most suppliers have a trade-in scheme for legit wireless products. Shure / AKG / Sennheiser do. But they won't buy it back. Some people are (or were) buying cheap non-compliant gear knowing that it was going to be illegal to operate after March 2015 - and not caring.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Eruera wrote:Just read the FAQ section, it seems a little optimistic for them to suggest that suppliers will buyback now-noncompliant radio mics :lol:
Both Shure and Sennheiser are or were operating a buy back service, with the credits being put towards new mics.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

NZRS-Dave wrote:It's also not those companies controlling the frequency. It's the government separating out our clustered frequency space so that emergency frequencies and digital television can operate un-interrupted.
There is a lot more controlled airspace than just D-TV and emergency services.

I was just trying to say in a simplified way that if a representative from VF/Spark/2Deg knocks on your door and tells you to turn your baby monitor off, they have the legal right to do so. They don't own the frequency spectrum, it's licensed through management rights and each company pays a fee for the amount they are allocated, or have won through an auction process. In essence, once spectrum management rights have been allocated, they control it, because they decide what services to broadcast on it (within set guidelines) and are responsible for managing interference on it.

Basically, if you're messing with an operating commercial network by operating a wireless device on the wrong frequency, it's not going to be the local council knocking on your door (although there are processes that can involve various govt. departments if you refuse to turn off).
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

For all you wireless folks...

Post by Eruera »

bbrunskill wrote:
Eruera wrote:Just read the FAQ section, it seems a little optimistic for them to suggest that suppliers will buyback now-noncompliant radio mics :lol:
Both Shure and Sennheiser are or were operating a buy back service, with the credits being put towards new mics.
I stand corrected :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Another reason why coily cables pwn all :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.