Moderator: Capt. Black

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

PRS Mccarty > Mesa Mark IV > Rivera Iso Cab

Post by Zorran »

sup folks,

ive been away from making my own music for a while coz ive been recording bands full time (check out my top friends on http://www.myspace.com/zorran) but i made a new clip coz i got some new gear. most of the songs i write go to my 2 bands, so yeah.. that just leaves the odd clip

http://streamer2.soundclick.com/jarry_D ... n+fyes.mp3

i was in india recently producing a band and caught up with some friends.. one of whom is a drummer. we wrote the song and recorded the drums in a day, so there isnt much creativity happening riffwise..its mainly a silent sister clip.

the silent sister is an iso box from rivera.. and they seem to have solved the typical boxy iso cab problem. its pretty quiet too.. band practice volumes and you can have a conversation over it.

the guitar chain was a prs mccarty with bareknuckle crawlers > mesa mark IV > silent sister > sennheiser md 421 > api 512c > rme fireface 800.

please comment on the tone and mix
Last edited by Zorran on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95 PRS McCarty, 97 PRS SAS, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Squier 20th Anniv Strat, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Jap Epi LP, Suhr/Joe Barden/BKPs.
Axe FX,Peterson Stroborack, Line 6 Echo Pro

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Re: PRS Mccarty > Mesa Mark IV > Rivera Iso Cab

Post by The Scarecrow »

Zorran wrote:sup folks,

ive been away from making my own music for a while coz ive been recording bands full time (check out my top friends on http://www.myspace.com/zorran) but i made a new clip coz i got some new gear. most of the songs i write go to my 2 bands, so yeah.. that just leaves the odd clip

http://streamer2.soundclick.com/jarr...orran+fyes.mp3

i was in india recently producing a band and caught up with some friends.. one of whom is a drummer. we wrote the song and recorded the drums in a day, so there isnt much creativity happening riffwise..its mainly a silent sister clip.

the silent sister is an iso box from rivera.. and they seem to have solved the typical boxy iso cab problem. its pretty quiet too.. band practice volumes and you can have a conversation over it.

the guitar chain was a prs mccarty with bareknuckle crawlers > mesa mark IV > silent sister > sennheiser md 421 > api 512c > rme fireface 800.

please comment on the tone and mix
link doesn't work?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

95 PRS McCarty, 97 PRS SAS, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Squier 20th Anniv Strat, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Jap Epi LP, Suhr/Joe Barden/BKPs.

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

if that doesnt work.. its the first song here :

http://www.soundclick.com/zorran.

sorry for all the trouble :(

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Wow thats mean stuff....sounds really good on these tiny computer speakers, dont have any large speakers hooked up at the mo.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

thanks man.. i have a pair of tiny logitech speakers.. the $30 ones.. single speaker..no crossover etc hooked up to my comp as well so i always spend a good amount of time mixing on them too. glad to know then help :)

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

Sounds pretty brutal man! Just need to get some vox in there and I'd totally buy that! :)

I liked the mix too, I'm listening through a decent stereo system (sony home theatre). Only thing that came to my mind was that the kick drum was mixed maybe a tad high, seemed to have a lot of presence through my sub.

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

interesting to note.. i do mix with a fair whack of low end.. but did it overshadow everything else? or was it distracting or unpleasant? its just that its always interesting to note other perspectives.. always helps to make a better mix the next time :)

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Zorran wrote:interesting to note.. i do mix with a fair whack of low end.. but did it overshadow everything else? or was it distracting or unpleasant? its just that its always interesting to note other perspectives.. always helps to make a better mix the next time :)
I didn't find it particularly overwhelming at all - probably could of used a bit more if I'm being honest, but that just be my shitbag headphones. :mrgreen:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Fucking hell Zorran you are the man. I'm listening on some almost flat HD25s and that's a hella professional metal recording. Great playing, nice "woodiness" to the tone that you don't often hear in metal, no doubt thanks to the fairly low output pickups. The drums sound brutal as hell. Solstate is lucky to have you on board.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

Zorran wrote:interesting to note.. i do mix with a fair whack of low end.. but did it overshadow everything else? or was it distracting or unpleasant? its just that its always interesting to note other perspectives.. always helps to make a better mix the next time :)
At around 3:21 in the recording with the double kicks. Just sounded like the low end was a bit overpowering there imo.

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

@ dan : thanks man.. i put a low end compressor on the kick and it kinda evened things out :) thankee for that one.

@ sam : cheers dude.. it only took me half a day to track and mix it etc.. so if i had some more time i could make it sound way bigger.. but i was happy enough and eager for some peeps to check out the iso box..so i made it :) i loove hd 25s.. they are almost like having a sub in there with you..and they have such large images..its ridiculous. i wouldnt say solstate is lucky at all.. troy pretty much does everything :p im quite awaiting your bands ep man.. i met greg haver once.. he was a really really nice dude and i cant wait to hear the final product on cd etc. whens it gonna be out?

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Zorran wrote:@ dan : thanks man.. i put a low end compressor on the kick and it kinda evened things out :) thankee for that one.

@ sam : cheers dude.. it only took me half a day to track and mix it etc.. so if i had some more time i could make it sound way bigger.. but i was happy enough and eager for some peeps to check out the iso box..so i made it :) i loove hd 25s.. they are almost like having a sub in there with you..and they have such large images..its ridiculous. i wouldnt say solstate is lucky at all.. troy pretty much does everything :p im quite awaiting your bands ep man.. i met greg haver once.. he was a really really nice dude and i cant wait to hear the final product on cd etc. whens it gonna be out?
Solstate is awesome, I hope you stick with it. Troy is a talented mofo and definitely has his sound. I think it's just a matter of time til people pick up how good your band's songs actually are. The new Blindspott should be just the beginning.

EP? The plan for BRD is to record an album of 10 - 15 songs. You can hear the first song at my myspace - http://www.myspace.com/blackriverdrivenz

We got a New Recording Artist today (yuss!) so we'll be making a video for "Everywhere" sometime in the next two months, as well as re-recording some parts (vocals definitely, guitars and synths maybe) and releasing at the same time as the vid. I would say April is likely.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

sambrowne wrote:Great playing, nice "woodiness" to the tone that you don't often hear in metal, no doubt thanks to the fairly low output pickups.
That's exactly what I was thinking, it's a different tone for the style of music than you'd usually hear, and that's a very good think I think. Really good mix too. 8)

That silent sister iso-cab looks really, really interesting. Just looking it up on the Rivera site, did the one you use have the standard G12T-75 speaker?
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

@ Sam : i definately will man.. we got tris (my ex bandmate from newwayhome) on drums now and he beyond nails it like a cd everytime. its good fun to play the songs every single time.. which i guess is further testimony to how good they are. i rate them highly too :)

@ Gelato : yep.. stock gt75. i was looking at the celestion and eminence site for days coz i thought id need a replacement, but turns out i dont need one! maybe the scooped nature of the speaker fits in with the small size of the whole thing.