Mix test - helpful comments appreciated!

Lets hear your sound clips...

Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3916 times

Re: Mix test - helpful comments appreciated!

Post by Bg »

sty wrote:I renamed the file and it worked, odd.

Anyway it sounds OK on my B&W Nautilus 804 speakers at moderate listening levels, ie. not super loud, just high enough to make you listen rather than wash over you. No booming of bass, quite controlled but definitely there.

The lead guitar and vocals are very present and stand out from the rest quite a bit, not bad but for me you definitely notice them.

At first I though the guitar may have been uncomfortably balanced a little to the left, but I think it's just the way my monitor is on my desk between me and the speakers so don't worry unless someone else notices it.

Otherwise it all sounds clear, can hear the instruments nicely. Your big organ swirls around nicely and not intrusively, adds nicely to the ambience.

I'd feel really comfortable listening to that if the guitar and vocals were just a little more blended in with the other stuff (but that's possibly just me)
Cheers for that, I'll have another listen in mono and see if I can blend it better....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 566 times

Post by TmcB »

I think the rhythm trem guitar and the organ fight each other quite a bit.

I'd bring the kick up slightly and get it out of the way of the bass, which I'd bring down just a tad.

Is there reverb on the lead guitar or is it room sound?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

just room, nothing added.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

sty wrote:Your big organ swirls around nicely and not intrusively
Disappointing.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

IB;JB

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

BG wrote:IB;JB

:shock: hey hey hey hey, i am not doing nada with Jeremyb.......
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by bobiron »

I played this through my M-Audio AV40 monitors, not as high class as some here. Love this song and have performed it many times acoustically. You do a great job.

My two cents on the mix (take this with a pinch as I am no expert)

I found the bass a little to over powering and it seemed to mask the kick a little, which is there but not that prominent. Anway I made the following eq changes on my mixer(Berhinger UB1622FX):

-6db @12khz
-3db@3khz
+4@500hz
-7db@80hz

plus a splash of room type reverb

I also found some clipping in places, vox and gat I think.

Not sure it that is useful or not.

If you post the waves for each track we could have a go at different mixes.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

BG wrote:here you go....
I could not open the first version.
Sounds good. Did you do it all in that little office of your place?

I would take the organ out IMO. I just find that they make it sound very backing track.

But otherwise I think its great.

I dont have the patience to complete something like that.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Man, nice.

The gat is coming across thin.. not too thin but the mid to maybe a little lower mids needs to be upped a little. Same with your vox a bit. At a guess this may have more to do with the track master than the mix? a little dip in places...I dunno its kinda track wide... I found this a lot with these... I can almost recognize it.. The mids sound like they needed thining out more a little than they do which is why these are a little too forward for some peeps. The highs are a pinch hyped on them also but once you rock a few tracks and get a feel for how the translate, it's easy to manage.

The bass is fine in the mix really, it is just more apparent because of the mid range being thinned out a little hence making it sound too loud. If the actives are a foot or less from the wall, you should try blocking (even half blocking) the ports and see how that works for you, I've read about it in mix fixes but never tried it myself.

I would try and separate the organ from the bass a little more as some of the bass (or lower) frequencies that the organ is using are not really needed for it to do what it needs to but they are stealing a little from the bass.

Track out the drums, bring the snare up and get it popping, bring the kick up a lil and try and get the click happening, put them in the same group channel and compress/limit :twisted: (I'm assuming you are using cubase)

Th

These are all minor 'try to help' suggestions, I'm no pro but know those speakers :D but, most importantly the song and music came though first and foremost, I'd rather have that any day.

Chur

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Dayl, you sell yourself too short, man.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

I only have cans to listen on, so I'm not much help. That and the fact that it's a 128K mp3...

From what I can tell, I like the vocals. The lead tone's ambience doesn't really match the ambience of the vocals or other instruments, but the recorded sound is nice.

I agree that the trem guitar and organ are fighting each other. The result of that is the song doesn't really have a settled grove. The lead guitar is also a bit sort of stilted timing-wise, which might be ok if the rest of the man-cave band are burbling away sweetly, but as it stands the whole thing sounds uncomfortable. And a slow blues should sound effortless.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Thanks for that Dayl, I guess the biggest problem is monitor positioning. The man cave isn't exactly ideal as there is a corner window where my desk is, so effectively they back onto panes of glass :eek: Think I'll have to move things around or work within the limitations, perhaps some sheets of wood behind the monitors? Nothing really I can do with the drums other than eq as they're loops. I'll maybe just push the mids up on the next one. First time doing anything with the monitors really other than use them as a stereo :lol: First time mic'ing up with the AT as well, I really like a bit of room sound in there too, might mic up with a close sm57 too and have a good play.

Cheers Mart, yeah I know what you mean, the guitar was pretty much a one maybe two takes and I guess I never really settled into it. Going to re-record over the weekend and see if I can't improve the whole thing. I wasn't happy with the bass anyway, its through the ampeg plugin and everything else is mic'ed so its time to drag out the bass amp.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7768 times
Been liked: 4203 times

Post by jeremyb »

I really liked it! ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN ORGAN :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 253 times

Mix test - helpful comments appreciated!

Post by Capt. Black »

Had a listen and pretty much concur with Martin. Overall nicely recorded. The 2050 does sound nice. Was considering getting a couple myself last week but opted for a pair of similarly spec'ed Avantones. Bloody lovely they are too. But I digress.
In terms of sound and feel my main criticism would be that it's a bit too polite. I'd dirty it up a little. Nothing heavy handed mind. All a matter of taste.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote:Had a listen and pretty much concur with Martin. Overall nicely recorded. The 2050 does sound nice. Was considering getting a couple myself last week but opted for a pair of similarly spec'ed Avantones. Bloody lovely they are too. But I digress.
In terms of sound and feel my main criticism would be that it's a bit too polite. I'd dirty it up a little. Nothing heavy handed mind. All a matter of taste.
I wanted to do something clean for a change ;) though I was thinking of getting my organ dirty...

IB;JB