Moderator: Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Paul Gilbert = Love :blush:

Post by slash-ed »

Don't laugh. :lol: This is so much better than doing work.

Actually, feel free to laugh, just have a listen and tell me what you think. :D Despite the Gilbert in the subject, unfortunately I haven't "past participle of get" around to a shredderific end solo, I might at some point if I can be bothered though. I'm pretending I meant to be "tasteful" here :D

Here is my take on a cover of a cover...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by slash-ed on Fri May 11, 2007 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Man... I really hope your flat mates did not hear you singing that.. I mean singing Spice Girls song. You know what they are gong to think about you.

Even worse.... They might start to think I'm that way inclined, when I come to pick you up next time!?!?!?!

Oh the shame... :cry:

haha kinda cool though.
Ummm....

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Always when no one is home :D

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

that song is starting to become a standard i think - not long now till kenny g does a version:) (or has he allready done one)

the guitars sound great (tho very reverby) but there is no bass???? - ?????

i take it you programmed the drums yourself? - great programming but the crash cymbals are way too loud - rest of the drums sound great:)

singing is in tune and phrasing flows :D but vocal recording sounds boxy and dynamic mike like - big upper mid peak but no lows or highs. need a LDC (B1 $200) and some duvets hung behind you perhaps. heaps more compression on the vox would be good imo - and some harmonies:)

overall eq curve is flat from 40hz up to 8khz - normally things would start to roll off above 3khz, i think its all those crash cymbals giving the extra energy in this area - turned up loud the crashes hurt the ears but no other instruments do.

level wise the song is very quiet - it needs to be level pumped about 8db higher (to take it from -20db to -12db average level).

everything seems in time and in tune 8)
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

I have a $10 PC mic :D

Hmmm, it will take me a few minutes to absorb that... :D

Yeah, I don't really know much about recording vocals. Using a t-shirt as a pop filter :D Plus the program I use for drums and recording doesn't really have too much in the way of effects (Acid Pro 3.0).

Mastering vocals is something I should really get a handle on , then?

Thanks for the comments :)

Oh, and... yup, very 'verby. No bass, my little amp can't handle bass very well, plus I just sold my one and only bass :D Planning to get one the next time I spot one with humbuckers...

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

can't listen too loud in my office as I moved into shared accommodation today, but the vocals sound like dave pirner (soul asylum) meets shane carter... I like it.. Agree @ dylan about the crash symbols and quietnesss, but that's just adjustments, no complaints about the song (and being spice girls that just feels wrong! ;-) )
Last edited by rocklander on Thu May 10, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

I see you are on Acid :) You could use your guitar with defeated tone for Bass. There is no excuse for not having any bass in a song :)

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

Thanks Ed, that was wicked. I really enjoyed the 'Soul Asylum' tone to your voice, and some of your playing was great.

I'd love to hear a version with your vocals right up front, more bottom end to your guitars, and push the drums back into the mix please. :)
Konx om Pax

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Thanks :D I'm trying to crummily rework right now actually. Hopefully this'll teach me more about the weird process that is recording vocals... thank god I'm not a singer, recording guitars is so much easier (well, on this level, I suppose it will be just as complicated on pro level)

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Just upped a new mix with roughly what you guys said should be worked on... Vocals a bit louder (although this doesn't make it sound better at all :D ), crash a bit softer...

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

nice stuff still - finally got a chance to listen on headphones at least - still seems a bit busy on the crashes? (IMO) -and missing the bass still - not sure if bass will de-accentuate the crashes or not, but I really do like the guitar and vocals.. very dave pirner, is that intentional or natural?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Not sure who Dave Pirner is... :oops:

Maybe I'll tone down the crashes summore when I try to add some vocal harmonies.

Wait.. Soul Asylum. Runaway Train? Haven't heard that song in years, and that's the only song I've ever heard from that band, so... probably not overly intentional? :D

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

yeh soul asylum - heh. they had soe good songs actual - black gold was a fav. 'grave dancers union' was a good album ( for me) in it's time - must revisit and see if it still stands up.
worth hunting down someone with a bass too? maybe that'll fill the lower end and make the crashes fit in? I dunno - not done any mixing/mastering myself so what would I know? :?
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

Now you're on the right track mate. :D
Konx om Pax

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

i suspect its the mic making you sound like dave pirner.

bass wise it seems that acid pro3 uses directx plugins, so it might be possible to download some free "virtual instruments" from kvraudio.com - there are billions of free plugins out there.

also my flatmate is selling a bass, but im not sure that its even worth his opening bid - its a great playing and sounding bass tho.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 457514.htm

crashes still way too loud! - and the best way to get good at recording is to do heaps of recording... it seems your allready good enough that you need slightly better gear.

then again your current recording setup seems to work - its common to upgrade then spend years working out why your tracks arent tight anymore, only to discover it was the computer/software all along:(

first upgrade would be an sm-57 i guess - you can stick it in front of anything and get a good sound. a condensor mic would be better, but that requires spending on a preamp as well.

sadly, the main thing in recording is adequate monitors - hockshop has a special on B2031a's at the mo, but its still $700. but better than the $3000-5000 they used to cost!
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil: