crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 368 times
Been liked: 270 times

Re: Bass effects!

Post by crowbgood1 »

hercules wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:21 pm I now use a Whammy but it's only for Tool stuff really. I've tried quite a few others.

If it's for a synth-bass type effect, you can't beat a Boss OC-2 or the OC-5's emulation of it. For general use, I think the TC Sub'n'Up is more than capable. Aguilar Octamizer is probably the fattest octave-down tone of the bunch, and it tracks really well.

That said - I would probably look at the Source Audio C4 as a swiss army knife. It does all the octave stuff you'd ever need and then some.
Yes, I'm going to try the Aguilar Octimizer - the local Music Works has one on the shelf.

I'm going to research the Audio C4.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7894 times
Been liked: 4247 times

Post by jeremyb »

What sort of scenarios do you guys use an octave pedal for?

On guitar I've used it for weird high pitched sounds or adding some low end to fatten up my toan, but interested to hear why you use one on bass :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 681 times
Been liked: 576 times

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:46 pm What sort of scenarios do you guys use an octave pedal for?

On guitar I've used it for weird high pitched sounds or adding some low end to fatten up my toan, but interested to hear why you use one on bass :-)
I use one live for when I'm playing a 4 string and but need the big power the low B to D# noted a 5 string would have, to get synthy tones, to get a broader spectrum tone when I'm playing up high (Sledgehammer anyone?). That's all lower octave.

I used a POG2 for years on bass to get the massive wall of sound.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 368 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

jeremyb wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:46 pm What sort of scenarios do you guys use an octave pedal for?

I just use octive, and any effect for that matter, as ear entertainment.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by smallface »

Used sparingly I think it's awesome.
Personally I love this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVsR08t ... nel=pdbass
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Couple of pedals on the way, Sonicake OC-2 clone and a Ly-Rock SP Compressor clone.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 681 times
Been liked: 576 times

Post by TmcB »

Never a huge fan of the SP comp on bass but comp is where I get disgustingly cork sniffery. The blend makes a massive difference and if you have a cheap clone coming you’ll be happy. I don’t like Ross style compressors and greatly prefer optical
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

TmcB wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:38 pm Never a huge fan of the SP comp on bass but comp is where I get disgustingly cork sniffery. The blend makes a massive difference and if you have a cheap clone coming you’ll be happy. I don’t like Ross style compressors and greatly prefer optical
I've got a Cali76 clone currently which is great but also takes up too much space on my little board so going to mini pedals to free up some space :rofl:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Ordered a Blender kit and OptoPuss optical bypass kit from Fuzz Dog to make a little wet / dry loop box for my bass board to use with some of my fuzz pedals :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Quite like the features of the DI/Preamp he's using... https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pocket_amp_bass.htm

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Nice board! Must check out some of her music!!