The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Running a bass into the PA.

Post by Rog »

BG wrote:
Vince wrote:
BG wrote: -1 FTL, why more guitarists don't just buy a pod and run into the desk, I don't know :lol:
Every time I've run into straight into the desk, using a sansamp, I've hated it.
I like to feel the stage floor rumble when I play, if I don't have that then it's just not the same. I tried the no amp thing exactly once and I hated it, it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had at a gig.
+1 FTW, if you can't feel the bass, whats the point? and trousers flapping in the bass wind is always a good feeling :D
+2
On the very rare times when I have plugged into a PA, I've played my amp at whatever settings suited me onstage anyway and used the variable DI from the amp back panel for the PA, just to keep the soundguy happy. Fuckem - I agree completetly with Vince and BG on this.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

part of the charm is the physical sensation for sure

also I wager there is a time gap between you hearing your amp and ya mates kick pedal
versus his kick and your back through the PA

It's like playing Bass when a drummer uses an electronic kit, it's subtle but i swear it's there. Just enough to make you think.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

an adequate compressor or limiter is a fine thing too
given the nature of Bass Guitars frequency/output range IMO

no less the randomness of the individuals touch too :D

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

BG wrote:-1 FTL, why more guitarists don't just buy a pod and run into the desk, I don't know :lol:

Every time I've run into straight into the desk, using a sansamp, I've hated it.
It all comes down to what you're running through. If your PA is shyte, then the bass sound may not be that good. But using a Sansamp Bass Drive DI is going to give you the best chance of a good sound through any type of PA. However, if your PA is shyte ... then ... shyte shall be heard.

I used to DI my bass out the back of my amp, so I could have my onstage sound quieter. At the volume I needed to have it to hear it on stage, it was muddying up the sound out the front.

But yes, I do enjoy the trouser flap from a marshall quad on the six string and just killing the whammy bar on some dirty E string. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

NZRS-Dave wrote:
BG wrote:-1 FTL, why more guitarists don't just buy a pod and run into the desk, I don't know :lol:

It all comes down to what you're running through. If your PA is shyte, then the bass sound may not be that good. But using a Sansamp Bass Drive DI is going to give you the best chance of a good sound through any type of PA. However, if your PA is shyte ... then ... shyte shall be heard.

I used to DI my bass out the back of my amp, so I could have my onstage sound quieter. At the volume I needed to have it to hear it on stage, it was muddying up the sound out the front.

But yes, I do enjoy the trouser flap from a marshall quad on the six string and just killing the whammy bar on some dirty E string. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Yeah so let the poor old bass player have his fun too ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

sambrowne wrote:Yes you totally can. Why more bass players don't do this, I don't know. Get a sansamp bass driver DI and you've basically got a good sounding, tiny little amp to plug into the desk.
Heaps of bass players already do this, why I don't know. At least with the Bass Driver you won't get all the fizzy top end due to the speaker sim, but you will have bad tone. Those little boxes sound awful, an SVT in a box for people who don't know what an SVT sounds like.
tonymcbony wrote:I love the ampeg heads that have di out. They're everyone's friend.
Not mine, why bother having an Ampeg if you DI out of it? You aren't getting the poweramp and speaker sound, which are the most important things!
war-wolf wrote:you'll need some sort of emulation though,a dist pedal straight into the desk is kinda like a metal zone thru your stereo...fuckin awful.if you like the sound you have,make them mic it up...it is their job after all. :D
You got it, I don't know why more bass players and sound engineers don't follow this logic. If you want a DI a distortion pedal you really should use a speaker sim.

Don't get me started on using kick drum mics on bass cabs....

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

Timi wrote:Those little boxes sound awful, an SVT in a box for people who don't know what an SVT sounds like.
Yeah +1 someone else feels the same as me :) I had one for awhile and tried to like it given the hype and the cash I paid for it new... meh
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

oh yeah. timi is onboard.

i read the first post and thought. i will talk about speaker sims if timi already hasnt.

Lets set this straight. the sansamp is a good unit. really shines when its just bass-sansamp-desk.
now. that said. it is nowhere near a SVT. nor would i recommend using it for OD/DIST sounds. just clean tone.

for reference. i mainly DI out a aguilar tone hammer as i play with in-ears and keep it simple for crappy sound men.

(plus i dont have bell bottoms to flap)

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

I haven't played any gigs where I wasn't DI'd from the output on my Ashdown. I never really got to hear how it sounded off stage, but I've always felt bass sounds at these gigs to be pretty shit.

Then one day I heard a guy playing through his Holden 200 at a gig and it was phenomenal. No DI, no mic...just brilliant tone.

After that, I played my Jansen a couple of times through my old speaker cab and realised what I had been missing out on at all those gigs :(

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by snitchez »

Pakehendrix wrote:I haven't played any gigs where I wasn't DI'd from the output on my Ashdown. I never really got to hear how it sounded off stage, but I've always felt bass sounds at these gigs to be pretty shit.

Then one day I heard a guy playing through his Holden 200 at a gig and it was phenomenal. No DI, no mic...just brilliant tone.

After that, I played my Jansen a couple of times through my old speaker cab and realised what I had been missing out on at all those gigs :(
as in you couldnt hear ur self or?

so no DI, no mic is quite a nightmare for a few sound guys. unless the bass player is good with his volume. whats the point of mixing when you can't control anything =)

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Well, couldn't hear what it sounded like off stage, for obvious reasons.

Not saying I wouldn't want the cab mic'd - in fact, I'd prefer it. Just more meaning that hearing an un-fiddled-with gorgeous bass tone showed me how far off a DI was. Especially with idiot sound guys.

Fler
Squier
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Fler »

I'm all good with using my AxeFX direct to PA if necessary. But I'm intending to get a stereo poweramp/cab setup going for monitoring purposes. Cynic and Meshuggah play these days running all except drums direct to the FOA, and by far they have the most cutting edge sound in modern metal I'd say.

Honestly I don't like it for the valve-purist state I've been brought up in, but frankly the unit get's so close it's pointless to debate it. For the sake of practicality nothing beats it, especially when touring.
(((Òran Mór

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by snitchez »

Fler wrote:I'm all good with using my AxeFX direct to PA if necessary. But I'm intending to get a stereo poweramp/cab setup going for monitoring purposes. Cynic and Meshuggah play these days running all except drums direct to the FOA, and by far they have the most cutting edge sound in modern metal I'd say.

Honestly I don't like it for the valve-purist state I've been brought up in, but frankly the unit get's so close it's pointless to debate it. For the sake of practicality nothing beats it, especially when touring.
they must have decent sound guys then =p