Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7927 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Re: Anyone like bass guitars?

Post by jeremyb »

This is stirring my gentlemans parts, thankfully the price has shrunk my balls.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 4283429154
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Delayman »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:30 pm This is stirring my gentlemans parts, thankfully the price has shrunk my balls.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 4283429154
It has a small nut so shrinking balls are appropriate
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

33” scale
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

With all the discussion about keeping your kids interested in learning I've decided I might actually give myself a break from thinking about playing more guitar and actually have a go at learning to play Bass. I've got a rather nice Squire Jaguar Bass and nice a thumpy HiWatt amp so I'm going to give it a go and see if it scratches the need I have to actually play stuff and the learning curve is a little more gentle than guitar which seems to smack me down just when I start to think I might be an intermediate...

Already discovered that playing an alternating 1st finger, 2nd finger "plucking" pattern is fine until I try and play a 1st finger, 2nd finger, 3rd finger, 4th finger fretting exercise, I seem to want to pluck with my 3rd finger - hahaha I guess I never released how much I take my alternating picking on guitar for granted.

Second thing I've discovered is that there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive/coherent beginners course on youtube like JustinGuitar to start with. I've found a few beginners lessons and good looking channels but they're all pushing quite expensive paid for subscriptions and I'm too tight to pay for anything like that just now.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 1454 times

Post by robthemac »

sty wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:15 pm
Second thing I've discovered is that there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive/coherent beginners course on youtube like JustinGuitar to start with. I've found a few beginners lessons and good looking channels but they're all pushing quite expensive paid for subscriptions and I'm too tight to pay for anything like that just now.
In a week you're gonna be wanting to stab anyone by the name of Scott.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

robthemac wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:16 pm
sty wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:15 pm
In a week you're gonna be wanting to stab anyone by the name of Scott.
Yeah, do them both, do them good. Scott and Justin, KILL THEM. RAM JUSTINS FLAT CAP DOWN SCOTTS THROAT AND SCOTTS STUPID GLOVE DOWN JUSTINS THROAT.

I'm sure in real life, they're probably both decent chaps. No they're complete twats.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by smallface »

Candy Apple Red Fender Bass VI and Burgundy Mist Gibson Thunderbird IV non-reverse.
:-)
Candy Apple & Burgundy Mist.jpg
Candy Apple & Burgundy Mist.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 15528 times
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Having a great run the Fretless Stingray (cheers Dave)

I do need to get it set up again. But a fantastic instrument. I also thought when I retire I’d buy a double bass but now I don’t think so.

smallface
PRS
PRS

Post by smallface »

foal30 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:22 am Having a great run the Fretless Stingray (cheers Dave)

I do need to get it set up again. But a fantastic instrument. I also thought when I retire I’d buy a double bass but now I don’t think so.
It's a lovely fretless that one :-)
I thought about upright, but tried one of these in a store and then saw one come up on TM last year. And pounced on it.

I would say it sits somewhere in the middle between a fretless and upright. But it's very very good. Keep an eye out for one :-)

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/det ... 1p_02.html
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

smallface wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:29 pm
foal30 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:22 am Having a great run the Fretless Stingray (cheers Dave)

I thought about upright, but tried one of these in a store and then saw one come up on TM last year. And pounced on it.

I would say it sits somewhere in the middle between a fretless and upright. But it's very very good. Keep an eye out for one :-)

Interesting. I think if I went the EUB path it would have to be a Ned Steinberger

smallface
PRS
PRS

Post by smallface »

foal30 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:12 pm
smallface wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:29 pm

Interesting. I think if I went the EUB path it would have to be a Ned Steinberger
They look very interesting. If you do get the chance to try the Ibanez I'd recommend it though. :-)

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Bad weather forecast this way so should be plenty of Bass Guitar this weekend.

Lots to work on, as ever.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Steinberger Saturday

I’d play it a lot more if it balanced sitting down. Might need to investigate the Andy Yakub replacement
image.jpg
image.jpg (4.44 MiB) Viewed 13549 times

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

So I found an unlined EBMM Stingray Fretless 5 on EBay Japan....but not original electronics which is a obviously not suitable

Still Sottying regarding getting parts from Fender Shop NZ to doll up the old Basses.

Terrible buyer and an even worse seller is me

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 367 times
Been liked: 285 times

Post by Kev77 »

Very tasty mij thank bass just listed on TM
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius