Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I think I prefer overdrive to fuzz in general. My amp (Carvin R600) dirties up nicely with some overdrive and has parallel tube/ss preamps which you can blend together, so I might do some experimenting with my tube booster pedal to start with. I have two Gunn Overdrivers too, so I'm tempted to mod one for extended bass range and leave one in guitar mode.

Time for a pedal board, methinks ;) Next gearfest could be the bass+pedal carnival!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Hullo Ash,

the most recent issue of Bass player magazine (DEc2006) has a selection of reviews on stomp boxes, included is 20 different o/d's.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

foal30 wrote:Hullo Ash,

the most recent issue of Bass player magazine (DEc2006) has a selection of reviews on stomp boxes, included is 20 different o/d's.
Cheers for that, check out the link online
http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sec ... urecode=61

Sound samples there too, which are fucking useless because they have DI'd them so they all sound like buzzy pieces of shit.
Are people stupid or something?
Plus all the samples have the gain on full, cool as an effect but not as a tone.

Might get on my other computer later and run the mp3s through a speaker sim to get a better idea.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

recently at a jam a guitar player mate of mine was playing bass, and he set things up so that single notes (played with a pick) were clean, but if he strummed hard octaves or power chords it would distort.

sounded great!!! - it was cool seeing this standard guitar technique applied to bass as well.

i used to know a bass player who is addition to his normal bass speakers, used a blown 15' cab to add some dirt...
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Timi wrote:
foal30 wrote:Hullo Ash,

Cheers for that, check out the link online
http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sec ... urecode=61

Sound samples there too, which are fucking useless because they have DI'd them so they all sound like buzzy pieces of shit.
Are people stupid or something?
Plus all the samples have the gain on full, cool as an effect but not as a tone.

Might get on my other computer later and run the mp3s through a speaker sim to get a better idea.

They really should've done the samples using an amp as well as a DI. At least that'd give the option for those who prefer the sound of pedal going thru an amp (i.e. sane people, people with taste :wink: )

Nice to see an entry from Frantone in there! And a good review at that!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

After listening to some of the samples there, i must say that i'm pretty impressed by the digitech offering.

They seem to make some of the bast bang for buck pedals out there...
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I suspect the horse has well and truly bolted but I do like the Boss ODB-3.

it's got way more dirt than a pansy like me needs, but for a few things it really fits the bill.

A little ODB-3, with a pick, on the Steinberger and I can play some Kim Deal.