How many of you are first and foremost bass players?

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Timi
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Timi »

chrls wrote:I played an all tube SVT-2PRO at Parachute. It was absolutely terrible. I didn't get the sound I wanted out of it.

I'm absolutely thankful I have a 4PRO..maybe it was the fact that I know my way around my 4 so well, but I wouldn't consider using an all tube again after Parachute.
Ive never played an SVT2pro, only the older SVT2, which is quite similar to mine. Sounded near on the same.
People say the SVT2pro and SVT3pro are real unreliable, but all the rest are fine.

The SVT4pro is the one I would chose if I was gonna go ss(hybrid).
You should have just taken your amp, I wouldnt be keen to use an amp I havent used before live.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Timi wrote:
chrls wrote:I played an all tube SVT-2PRO at Parachute. It was absolutely terrible. I didn't get the sound I wanted out of it.

I'm absolutely thankful I have a 4PRO..maybe it was the fact that I know my way around my 4 so well, but I wouldn't consider using an all tube again after Parachute.
Ive never played an SVT2pro, only the older SVT2, which is quite similar to mine. Sounded near on the same.
People say the SVT2pro and SVT3pro are real unreliable, but all the rest are fine.

The SVT4pro is the one I would chose if I was gonna go ss(hybrid).
You should have just taken your amp, I wouldnt be keen to use an amp I havent used before live.
I think thats the 1st time I have ever heard the word unreliable used relating to Ampeg. I have an SVT3Pro which has been a great amp so far and I bought it on the grounds of overwhelmingly positive reviews and because after I'd spent half a day playing one nothing else I tried came close.
chrls wrote:Nothing beats Ampeg tone.
QFT.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

If you look at reviews on the SVT2pro, people always have them brake down, they are notorious for blowing fuses. Theres one that seems to be at Weta Guitars every time Im there.

I havent read too many bad things about 3pros on the net, but a few people I know who are around gear all day (touring, tech'ing and recording) say they have had quite a few bad experiences with them.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

I had planned on using my own amp, but the fuse fell out of my step-down transformer and I couldn't get hold of an end-cap to hold the fuse in.
QFT.
I'm sorry, I have a habit of writing out my words, and don't understand text language. Do you mind explaining that one to me?
What are you going to do for a face, when the monkey wants its bum back?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

quote for truth

He agrees with that statement.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

but the fuse fell out of my step-down transformer and I couldn't get hold of an end-cap to hold the fuse in.
Been there. I just jammed a ciggy packet tinfoil in there as tight as possible and got through the gig.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

Haha, I couldn't do that because being a christian festival and all... "No smoking on festival grounds." A bit silly if you ask me, but hey. No one asked me :P

Ahh. I've just never seen QTF before...

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

i have a harmonica jammed into my jansen bassman 30 to stop the valves rattling:)

bass is my favorite instrument - i have a lovely pedulla mvp5

hello everybody!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Pedullas rule. Best bass I've ever played was a blue MV Pedulla Thunderbird 5.

That was your red one on the weekend, Dylan?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

MunkyWrench
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MunkyWrench »

bluesgeek wrote:nah mate, it just means you can drink more ;)
I'm converted!
Anyone wanna buy my entire rig? lol.

I've been trying to master the shredding while smashed trick for a while, but you've done it!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

yep, just become a master of the 'doof-doof' bass and have a skinfull ;) My 'shredding' when drunk thing gets quite embarrasing, I start to believe I'm the reincarnation of Hendrix and get up close and personal with my amp/guitar/small furry animals...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

Can any of the bass players here read music?

And I don't mean tablature.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Once was a bass player.

Post by DarcyPerry »

Once was a bass player.

My first Bass was an Ibanez Roadster bought 2nd hand from a masterful bass player who had returned from years working in Oz to his home town of Te Kuiti. He could slap, pop, tap, etc. I just wanted to jam with my brother Regan (who had gone from basic chords to Hendrix in less than 2 years).

I would have played guitar first but I figured 4 strings would be easier and I just couldn't even get my fingers around a G chord on the guitar!

Some folks say I still play like a bass player. I played in brass bands as a kid (cornet). I still have my father's trumpet gathering dust under the bed. I sold my last bass (a 6 string Ibanez) on trademe a few years back.

So, I guess I've gone to the dark side. I like the way a guitarist can get away with ANYTHING.

Darcy
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

chrls wrote:Can any of the bass players here read music?

And I don't mean tablature.
I can. Not that I'm a bass player, but I have been in the past. The long dark past of highschool bands many years ago. Okay, I still have a bass or two in my wardrobe, but shhh, secret squirrel. :wink:

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Yes I can read.
It is always a work in progress though.

Odd question, but if your looking for resources I would pick
"Standing in the shadows of Motown" by Alan Slutsky and
"Serious Electric Bass" by Joel Di Bartolo

both double your pleasure, learning while playing MUSIC.