Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 102 times

Accoustic Strings

Post by Timoes »

I just scored a Fender BG31 off TM. What would be a good choice of string to put on there? No funk/slap style here, just rock/ metal.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: Accoustic Strings

Post by Vince »

Well, your choices are kinda limited as nickel strings (ie most electric bass strings) sound like crap on an acoustic like a BG31.

Acoustic strings tend to be in phosphor bronze but I know you can get them in brass, too. Having said that, I've never seen a set of brass strings in the flesh. Nickels on acoustic basses sound thin and muted. It's a matter of taste, of course, so you might not find that. But personally, I don't like the sound of nickels.

Phosphor bronze tends to be very, very bright at first but like all strings, when they start to wear in they mellow out and sound bassier. Depending on various factors, the brightness of PBs will probably last two to three weeks. It's rather interesting, hearing the change in sound over time.

I use Martin SPs which aren't bad strings and pretty widely available. Cheap (for bass strings), too. As far as gauges go, there's not a lot of choice out there, most sets (whatever the brand) tend to be .045-.100 Using different gauge strings to what's already on the bass might cause problems with the nut width (if the strings are too thick, they may slip off the grooves) but I've never had it happen and I'm a really aggressive player.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

ThatGirl
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ThatGirl »

I've got some Dean Markley bronze ones on mine at the moment and they are great, nice tone etc but set me back a fair few dollars...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

ThatGirl wrote:I've got some Dean Markley bronze ones on mine at the moment and they are great, nice tone etc but set me back a fair few dollars...
Wow, I've never seen a set of bronzes. I've always been curious to try them though. Where did you get them, and how much is "a fair few dollars", precisely? (I shudder to think)
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook