bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Re: Arsebiscuits! Bass or amp?

Post by bender »

tonymcbony wrote:
mr_sooty wrote: I reckon Benderissimo should be in there too.
Definitely

Both of you can bite my shiny metal ass.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

In all seriousness though, I haven't seriously gassed for anything since getting my amp. Get the amp.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

benderissimo wrote:
tonymcbony wrote:
mr_sooty wrote: I reckon Benderissimo should be in there too.
Definitely

Both of you can bite my shiny metal ass.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

They're just trying to wrongfully lump us in with the true ditherers!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I think I caught bass rig GAS by coming into this thread. Damn you, Tony! :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Bass rig GAS being fulfilled this week. Be prepared for fuel to be added to the fire 8)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Although I didn't catch dithering. I decided pretty much exactly what I want in about an hour and that's the end of the matter.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Get the Fender bass.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Get the amp. Or at least a new amp of some kind - I was never particularly fond of my Ashdown. It was good, but nothing special...then again it was only a MAG.

Just learn to play your Warwick better :P

I know what you mean about the J-bass - I'm still keen for one (used to have one, and have borrowed the Capt's) but I never find them to be keepers. There's always something not quite right about them - I think I find the necks too thin, and the fretboards too narrow. It's good for some music, but I find that it can get a little awkward for more "groove" based music with lots of octaves and muted strings and whatnot. Like the inverse of the string spacing problem you're having now. Also, while they do sit "forward" more in the mix, I found that mine did get a bit lost under crushing waves of guitar. Again depends on music more...but if you have a guitarist who likes to over compensate... :|

My suggestion is to go for a new amp for now, and spend some time trying out new basses until you can afford one. New amp makes you sound better, a new bass might improve on the feel of the current one...my 2c.

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

Pakehendrix wrote: I know what you mean about the J-bass - I'm still keen for one (used to have one, and have borrowed the Capt's) but I never find them to be keepers. There's always something not quite right about them - I think I find the necks too thin, and the fretboards too narrow. It's good for some music, but I find that it can get a little awkward for more ""Grove"" based music with lots of octaves and muted strings and whatnot. Like the inverse of the string spacing problem you're having now. Also, while they do sit "forward" more in the mix, I found that mine did get a bit lost under crushing waves of guitar. Again depends on music more...but if you have a guitarist who likes to over compensate... :|
That's why you need a P-Bass :P
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

I had one on the shopping list, but I will shortly be owning a Warwick Streamer $$. More versatility than you could shake a tree at.

The P's I tried were very good, though, and I think I may eventually grab one as a backup. Unfortunately I only like the maple neckers, and there's not many of them! Definitely a great sound, and even in the store I could tell how it would sit in a band mix. (Back on topic) the string spacing can definitely take a bit of getting used to, especially when moving from a jazz, but I found it very comfortable standing up.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

And now for the only advise worth listening to in this thread: All these people are just telling you what they want in the bass department.

:lol:

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

:mrgreen:

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

tonymcbony wrote:Random stabs in the dark?
We're not that sort of forum mate (I think)

Get both :mrgreen:

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 565 times

Post by TmcB »

Pakehendrix wrote: Just learn to play your Warwick better :P
I've played that bass exclusively for 8 years, I'm playing it as well as I can :P

The thinner jazz style neck on the streamer is lovely as p bass width necks are too fat for me. I know it's a lot more comfortable for my style to have slightly more string spacing at the bridge as I can dig in quite hard. I just seem to naturally suit it.
Pakehendrix wrote: My suggestion is to go for a new amp for now, and spend some time trying out new basses until you can afford one. New amp makes you sound better, a new bass might improve on the feel of the current one...my 2c.
Kinda what I'm doing. What I didn't mention was that this wasn't really a dither thread, it was more to do with timing e.g. whether I got the amp or a Jazz Bass first. So thanks for that answer!
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Not a dither thread :shock: :o

Heh. Yes I kinda think that getting a better amp first works because a good amp will sound right/good with almost anything you throw at it (since that's its job) but a bass is dependent on so many little things to do with physical interaction that it takes more time and patience.