Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Bass for non bass players

Post by jeremyb »

Hey bass guys, if I've got a chord progression in a certain key the obvious thing to me as a guitar player would be to play the root notes on the bass, but I expect I should do something better eh?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Re: Bass for non bass players

Post by foal30 »

no one can play jazz well on a Steinberger :)
you were doomed to fail

'something better' well that is subjective
'in a certain key' that can be too :)

can you think of a reason why you like a bassline?
example A - repetition. play the same hook for each chord. If you can't 'get' the notes play the same rhythm

example B - space. anticipate a chord change then play nothing

if you can think of something to say as opposed to applying functionality then often people will say
"what a great bass line!" or "that guys overplays!"
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Rootnotes are the best place to start. It's where I always start, and often where I stay, apart from when I want some emphasis or variety.

Thoughts I apply to it:

1. Do I need to play more than the root notes? (OK, as bassplayer, often I want to do more, but does the song need it?!)
2. Can I add emphasis by changing the timing slightly with that note in the 4th bar... or just dropping a note in an '8ths' pedalling bassline...
3. Can I play the same bass note under a number of chords? or...
4. If the chord stays the same, can I ascend/descend to make it all sound cool (as mentioned above...)

Some of the best bass moments I've ever had was sticking strictly to the root notes for 98% of a song, but in one line at the end of one chorus, I go up/down to the third (or whatever it is... ie, A chord, playing the C#, D, playing the F#) or add a nice ascending line when the chords are descending... and bam, singer turns around and looks at me with a grin because what I just did lifted the whole song about 10%. Nice.

Bass is generally more abour discipline than chops. More about 'oomph' and rhythm than it is about notes. But then, I sit more in the 'song' camp - and more the white-boy 8th note mid tempo rock camp. No Jaco's here... (LOVE listening to that stuff... but it's not where I live).
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

As a rock/punk/metal focussed player, I have no idea what these guys are talking about :lol:

However, my 'method' is to just play the root notes to get the "feel" and then add in some syncopation. After that, if the song needs it, I add in stuff like 5ths or 7ths.

I tend to find that the most interesting basslines mix simple rhythmic changes with simple note variations.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Getting the timing and getting the gr00ve right is more important than note choice.

Start by playing root notes, and getting the timing right, then build on it from there. Start by adding some passing notes to lead into the next chord.

As mentioned above, playing the root on the 1st beat is safe, and from there you can add notes from within the chord or even the scale, but be sure you know whether its a major or minor chord before you add the 3rd (you can add the 5th and 7th pretty much any time). Hammer Ons from 7th to root are a good tool too.

But I'm gonna say it again - a good bass line is about timing, not complexity.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

Good stuff guys, cheers muchly!! 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

I like bass players who keep it simple and lock in with the drummer. For the kind of stuff I play (two chord pop songs APPARENTLY) the root note and a few passing notes between chord changes are plenty. :wink:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Listen to the basslines in the genres you like and do what they do

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I always assume people mean a dominant 7th when they don't specify

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

I find that you can fit I and V into just about any song ... even if it isn't country.

But just echoing what the guys said ... play the root at the start of the bar ... and add flourishes when necessary.

if you get really stuck ... poke your head in the door and I can ruin something for you.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Since Ive been getting into a fair bit of bass playing lately, Im finding you can make some pretty awesome counter beats to guitar parts by playing in the right chord as the guitar, but picking the root notes to the bass drum and higher notes in between to distiguish the bassline more. As a guitarist I find it hard to not automatically follow what the guitar is doing, but now I usually record drums then bass first then add guitars after.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Wow, all this talk about what to play.

When I play bass all I want to know is the chord progression and I just fill everything else in automatically. I have neither thought nor regard for relative 7ths, diminished 9ths or demolished 13ths. I just play the bloody bass lines... according to how I feel on the day - 'cos they vary a lot depending on that.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

testy wrote:hate to be pedantic there Jimi but 7`s can be lowered or in your case raised
hate to pertuate the general anti-intellectualism we suffer in this country, but I didnt want to start a theory discussion on the appropriate use of 7ths for someone just looking for some pointers on getting started with playing bass lines.

FWIW I use whichever 7th is appropriate for the mode I am playing in.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Learn the guide tones of the chords. Play them.

:D

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Rog wrote:Wow, all this talk about what to play.

When I play bass all I want to know is the chord progression and I just fill everything else in automatically. I have neither thought nor regard for relative 7ths, diminished 9ths or demolished 13ths. I just play the bloody bass lines... according to how I feel on the day - 'cos they vary a lot depending on that.
Oh. You're one of THOSE bass players. You'll ... er ... need to hand in your card at the next meeting.

:)

Jeremyb - something else that might help is playing octaves to fatten the bass part out a bit, or fill in some space. Depending on the drum rhythm you can usually do I I 8 - I I 8 etc. Most people play octaves as I 8 I 8 etc ... btu usually doubling up on one of the notes makes for a clean bass sound and something more fat.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.