Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Using flatwounds on bass

Post by thehenderson »

I just bought a bass after years of not having one. It's awesome! But I'm looking for a much more mellow 'thud' kind of sound with a pick or thumb. Maybe flatwounds are the go?

Which kind of flatwound do you recommend, and how would you describe the sound of flatwounds compared with regular strings? What styles are they usually used for? I'm wanting a more kind of Phil Spector, thud and reverb 60s bass sound. Nom nom nom. Using a jazz bass.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Re: Using flatwounds on bass

Post by Pakehendrix »

In my old reggae band we (I shared bass with another guy) had an Ibanez 5 string with flatwounds, and it was excellent for that sound - it provided a rock solid foundation for everything else.

There's very little high end, and you will definitely get the 'thump' you're looking for. They're kinda percussive, almost like a double bass with more sustain (not that I play double bass...). The music was pretty much reggae and pub reggae covers of classic songs, and they seem to work best in bands with a lot of other instrumentation going on - we had 15 members. I wouldn't advise them for your nu-metal slap stuff, though.

That bass used GHS and one fancy brand of string. The GHS were pretty good, but not wonderful; and because they will stay on your bass for a long time, it's best to spring for the best you can. I can't remember the name at the moment, but I bought them from Lewis Eady music. It was an Italian name; I'll try and think of what it was...they were silky smooth and are probably still on that bass, 4 years later.

Rog will know more.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Cool, good to know. Not at all interested in a reggae sound (I imagine super bassy with zero top end, where as I'm interested in not too bassy but no clang on the top end like I get a bit with these round wounds) but I think what you're describing is ballpark what I'm after. I really like the sound of lightly palm muting the bass at the moment and using a pick, would love to get something like that sound without having to palm mute.

Yeah, like a double bass more! But with a pick.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

So, not slap bass?

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

It goes without saying that this bass is mainly for slap bass use.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Foal gets a tasty smooth soul thud out of his flats, I'm sure he'll be along any moment.
Tin arse!!

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Hendo, you might want to try getting foam mutes for the strings - you can make your own, but they were the fashion in Motown and old hip-hop and RnB bass recordings I believe. Essentially a foam block you insert under the strings, just in front of the bridge/saddles. Really dense, thick foam works best - kinda like the heavy stuff in flight cases.

Here's some info:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398011

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

I stand corrected, they were originally foam pieces on the inside of the bridge covers, but nowadays people insert foam under the strings.

We learn every day.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Cool! Yeah totally, I had a Musicman bass once that had foam mutes that you could engage with a screwdriver. I'm going to try making some. Thanks man. Love that old style, not too bassy, weirdly thuddy sound.

Damn the bass sounds so good through my Carr combo. The combo's box is just big enough to have a good and bassy sound at lowish volumes and blackface clean is niiiiiice for thuddy bass. Mmm, thud.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

I get that sound by wedging either a tissue or a small rag under the strings right next to the bridge. The more tightly packed in there it is the deader it sounds.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Another important part to this sound to my ears is having the action reletively high. I think the comparison to a double bass is a really good one. With the action high you can play a lot harder, so you get a different kind of attack.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Yep, and even just having really old strings...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

There's many set of flats available, but the ones that many players buy once and they last forever are Thomastik-Infeld JF344

Dave can get you a set.

Things I like about them:
1. classic old school sound
2. low tension
3. last forever
4. slight mid-dominance cuts through the mix

Here's a read: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... te&so=desc
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Pakehendrix wrote:I stand corrected, they were originally foam pieces on the inside of the bridge covers, but nowadays people insert foam under the strings.
We learn every day.
The old Fender basses all came with them standard. They were the first thing I removed. I've still got my original piece from my '72 here somewhere, but the foam's pretty gunky now.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Rog, after years of playing flats how do you find playing round wound strings?