Re: Anyone like bass guitars?

Post by Candeevr4 »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Compared tensions, gauges as close as I could get with this calculator...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 8.23.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 8.23.44 PM.png (90.76 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 8.22.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 8.22.23 PM.png (91.13 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Hmmm D'Addario have a 0.045 - 0.135 set which might be more my style, quite happy with the tension on the other strings!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:15 pm String gauges for my 5 string... the low B is a bit flappy and kinda useless... I'm not sure what brand is stock on the Artist basses, probably cheap chinese stuff, my verniers measured them at .045 - 0.125, am thinking either .045 - 0.130 or 0.050 to 0.135, this is on a 34" scale, any thoughts? will probably get EB Slinkys as in video comparisons they seem to have the tone I want...
Not sure changing strings will help with “flapiness”
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:26 pm Hmmm D'Addario have a 0.045 - 0.135 set which might be more my style, quite happy with the tension on the other strings!
A common moan about Daddario is the tension pull discrepancy between A (loose) D (tight)

It’s never bothered me fwiw I like their Chromes 105 E set

I really struggled with a 34” scale 5 string. The only one I thought was a suitable B string was the MusicMan Stingray.

Yeah I know scale length isn’t the definitive answer but I much preferred 35” scale 5 string they are the only ones I have purchased
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

foal30 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:00 am
jeremyb wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:26 pm Hmmm D'Addario have a 0.045 - 0.135 set which might be more my style, quite happy with the tension on the other strings!
A common moan about Daddario is the tension pull discrepancy between A (loose) D (tight)

I really struggled with a 34” scale 5 string. The only one I thought was a suitable B string was the MusicMan Stingray.

Yeah I know scale length isn’t the definitive answer but I much preferred 35” scale 5 string they are the only ones I have purchased
Mmmm complete bass noob here so bought the bass on price alone... I do like the idea of the low B though, ended up buying these strings this morning to test out :-)
Attachments
cobalt5.jpg
cobalt5.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 947 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

The pickups in this bass are REALLY quiet so spending as little as possible to upgrade them, MP had a SD 67-70 jazz bridge pickup on sale for $60 so grabbed one! https://www.musicplanet.co.nz/seymour-6 ... ridge.html

Now to find something similar in a P bass neck pickup.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

not done much with my artist jazz, so I'm overspending... a sd hot jazz for the neck and a lightning rods for the bridge. Chrome flats. Oh and some dimarzio custom taper pots. Going to play with caps, with a jazz its so easy to change. Will make a decent bone nut for it :)

Want to biff a decent mass bridge on there, anyone holding?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:05 am
foal30 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:00 am

Mmmm complete bass noob here so bought the bass on price alone... I do like the idea of the low B though, ended up buying these strings this morning to test out :-)
Colbalts are quite nice!

I have a Stingray 5 and that’s a good B.

Only other was the Lakland DJ5 which was 35”. Gorgeous tone.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Brotherhood of bass, how much do you use the controls on your bass? I rewired mine with two vols and one tone, and pretty much leave them all wide open as I prefer that tone of the J & P mixed together... what say you?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I had a Warwick with volume, pickup blend, bass and treble controls. Only thing I used was the volume and (very occasionally) boosting the bass slightly. If I had my time again I'd just have a single volume control and use a boost/OD pedal.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:55 pm Brotherhood of bass, how much do you use the controls on your bass? I rewired mine with two vols and one tone, and pretty much leave them all wide open as I prefer that tone of the J & P mixed together... what say you?
I use my vol and tone a fair bit but what I’d suggest is actually a 3 way switch for a PJ with master tone and volume.

I’ve never seen the point in blending, some people must have golden ears to hear when the bridge gets blended in. I much prefer P / P+ J / J. Having the switch also means that in the solo positions there’s no loading from the other pickup so it’s more “pure”.

I converted my Lakland GZR PJ to have a 3 way rotary so it still looks like it has 3 knobs but a normal 3 way Gibson style would probably work better.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Oooh that’s a nice idea Toany, can you point me to what type of rotary switch you got?

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:48 pm Oooh that’s a nice idea Toany, can you point me to what type of rotary switch you got?
Could try with one of these from jaycar.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/1-pole-sealed- ... =relevance

Would just need to trim the shaft to fit

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

Active basses, yep, twiddling all the time. Passive PJ is 99% of the time left on the P pickup alone and tone rolled back to about 75%.

Greatly prefer passive for this reason.