Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kev77
Mr Echo
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 285 times

advice for a combo

Post by Kev77 »

ok, so I sold my ampeg balls out and rock and roll rig, now Im after a 300 watter or so, with 2 10's, in the ampegy, solidness variety, any suggestions? :shock:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

What attracts you to the solid state my man?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

s/s is the only way to go with a bass, you get a lot more punch and a lot more headroom.

Those Gallien Kruegers are a nice amp

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products ... 0-210.html#

pretty heavy but its got wheels and a pull out handle like a suitcase. Plenty of nice clean punch. If I was looking for another amp, this would be the one :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 285 times

Post by Kev77 »

are they avialble in nz?
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yup from the Dongshop, price is about $2500
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Post by 1964 »

bluesgeek wrote:s/s is the only way to go with a bass, you get a lot more punch and a lot more headroom.
I agree...mostly...BUT, Paul Merriott, bass player for the Darcy Perry band, has the most awesome tone from, of all things, his Marshall valve head. If you can get the chance to hear Paul’s live tone some time, you can see whether you agree.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

when are they playing GANZ again? I might have to come along :D

I've just never got on with valve and bass, could be the quality of the amps I was running, and I do prefer a clean tight sound :)

What Bass Amp are you running?

Post by 1964 »

Don't know when they're playing GANZ again, if at all. They only played a couple of months ago, and GANZ is soon to be under new management, as it were. Here’s their calendar: http://darcyperry.co.nz/shows.htm

My bass amp is a 99 Warwick W-CL (not Neodyn). It’s a 150W 1x12” with HF horn and all the DI options.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

My Carvin R600 with 2x10 is monsterous. Its 300+300W and a head/combo, but I think they do/did a combo single amp version of it.

I tried GK and SWR gear at the same time which was all good, but more expensive. The only amp I found that was noticably better was a David Eden head and 2x12 cab, which was magnificent. A combo version of that would be sweeeet.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Post by 1964 »

Btw, I have booked The Groove Diggers, featuring Grant Wills on guitar and Dave Manning on bass, to play GANZ on Wednesday 15 February 2006. If you want me to give you a free entry pass again, please let me know before the end of the year. I leave office at midnight New Year's Eve.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I went along to a GANZ meeting not long ago. Its all a bit dull for my liking. It was like sitting in Wake.

They need to spark some life into those things.

Hopefully the new management will change a few things.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yeah I've seen the Groove Diggers a few times, they're pretty good :) Nice pedals too :D

Post by 1964 »

> "I went along to a GANZ meeting not long ago. Its all a bit dull for my liking. It was like sitting in Wake.

"They need to spark some life into those things."

I agree!

> "Hopefully the new management will change a few things."

I hope I'm wrong...but don't hold your breath. The new management have been left to run the evenings for at least a year now. And IMHO it's got worse and worse. The day they reckoned they could successfully mix from the side of the stage I lost all remaining interest.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

They need to have it somewhere better than that boat club.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yep got to agree, it was much more like a recital than a performance. Its a shame really as it should have a lot of potential but its not going to happen unless there is more 'youngblood' which isn't going to happen as it is... vicious cycle. What are the jam nights like?