sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: How to help my kid play Bass

Post by sty »

Vince wrote:Hand size is not huge issue on bass as you don't have to do chords. It's mainly single note runs.
Does arm size come into it, ie. can you reach along the neck without having your wrist at completely the wrong angle?

(you see, I do genuinely know nothing. Maybe I need to actually borrow a bass and have a go myself)

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Vince wrote:Hand size is not huge issue on bass as you don't have to do chords. It's mainly single note runs.
dunno,first 5 frets are a long way away if you have short arms....
Prolly not so bad on a p-bass or similar -and you could alway get an inbetween scale like a jag.something 32" ish

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

When I picked up a bass, after playing guitar for many years, I grabbed RockSmith (the game/cable) to learn with. Loved it, and gave me a bit more of a grounding in playing bass like a bass player rather than a guitarist faking it. I really do recommend it for bass learning.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Kris wrote: dunno,first 5 frets are a long way away if you have short arms....
Prolly not so bad on a p-bass or similar -and you could alway get an inbetween scale like a jag.something 32" ish
I'm 5' 6" and I've never had any trouble. P-Bass is pretty standard for scale length.

I reckon the easiest thing to do is go to a music shop and try.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Thanks for all the advice and insight, caught myself watching way too many bass videos on youtube now... must avoid starting to learn it myself now ;)

We've decided to push the boat out and sign him up for two music teaching sessions this year at High School, one for vocals - he's too good to not do this - and one for Bass hopefully although it wasn't on the list of choices, and drums as a fallback and I'll sort him out with a tutor myself from somewhere (I know a couple of bass players in CHCH, no idea which ones do lessons).

I've also borrowed a Bass and Amp from a neighbour who I knew had bought a beginner setup (I think) during the start of a mid-life process and hasn't been playing it. I've been invited to put in an offer to buy it if I like, so I'll see exactly what it is but in the meantime, all systems are go....

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

moliere wrote:When I picked up a bass, after playing guitar for many years, I grabbed RockSmith (the game/cable) to learn with. Loved it, and gave me a bit more of a grounding in playing bass like a bass player rather than a guitarist faking it. I really do recommend it for bass learning.
I still play bass with Rocksmith most days.... I've spent way too many hours playing Rocksmith in fact :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Bg wrote:
moliere wrote:When I picked up a bass, after playing guitar for many years, I grabbed RockSmith (the game/cable) to learn with. Loved it, and gave me a bit more of a grounding in playing bass like a bass player rather than a guitarist faking it. I really do recommend it for bass learning.
I still play bass with Rocksmith most days.... I've spent way too many hours playing Rocksmith in fact :lol:
Given I have Rocksmith, and it allows great headphone practice I suspect this might be something I give a go as well.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

How is it going?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

foal30 wrote:How is it going?
It's going really well.

the borrowed Bass got him started and we had loads of fun with Seven Nation Army and Another One Bites the Dust, he then started working out TNT. His first lesson went well but the teacher recommended we look out for a 3/4 size instrument.

So I just picked up a Squire Vintage Jaguar Short Scale and a 100W 1x15 HiWatt that was up for sale in Christchurch which seems absolutely perfect and the teacher was happy with it.

He's also impressed the teacher with how fast he's picking stuff up, no surprise given he can kind of play piano, can read basic music and has been in the Canterbury Representative Choir for the last few years (little bugger might have close to perfect pitch as well).

And they're already trying to start a band at school...

So 2 lessons in and we'll see how he gets on this term. Cross fingers.

In related news, this now means that I have 2 guitar amp setups, a bass setup and a drum kit in my man cave, and keyboard but no amp, so looks like I need to hunt down a cheap PA ;)