jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Recommendations for bass set up in NZ?

Post by jhyang549 »

Please share your recommendations for a bass guitar setup in NZ.

I'm looking to get my electric bass guitar set-up by a good tech/luthier in Auckland. I already know two who are more than capable on doing this but I wanted more options to look at.

I've had a great setup with Trevor from Binford Luthiery despite being very over qualified for something like a standard setup. He did an impeccable job with my Radian Les Paul and very friendly, although it did feel like requesting Queen's counsel for something rudimentary like buying a house.

Audio Zephyr is good too. He worked on two of my guitars over 5 years ago.

Edit: lol Greg Bennett (RIP) as the lowest forum rank. They make good guitars! I figured the lowest rank would be something like Mannix or Irin.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Recommendations for bass set up in NZ?

Post by Bg »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:34 pm Please share your recommendations for a bass guitar setup in NZ.

I'm looking to get my electric bass guitar set-up by a good tech/luthier in Auckland. I already know two who are more than capable on doing this but I wanted more options to look at.

I've had a great setup with Trevor from Binford Luthiery despite being very over qualified for something like a standard setup. He did an impeccable job with my Radian Les Paul and very friendly, although it did feel like requesting Queen's counsel for something rudimentary like buying a house.

Audio Zephyr is good too. He worked on two of my guitars over 5 years ago.

Edit: lol Greg Bennett (RIP) as the lowest forum rank. They make good guitars! I figured the lowest rank would be something like Mannix or Irin.
sorry its a forum tradition, I think samick is lower.... just 20 years of tradition :)

Trev or Warren is probably all you need though there others out there, is cost a factor? because they're both great.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

There's Ramsay Phillips over in Glendowie as well. They're all good though, but different styles of service, so I'm the end it'll come down to location, price, and who lives best with your particular style.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Bg wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:05 pm
sorry its a forum tradition, I think samick is lower.... just 20 years of tradition :)

Trev or Warren is probably all you need though there others out there, is cost a factor? because they're both great.
I'm going to be honest. They both charge quite a bit for their services. I am conscious of the cost and would like to know more people who are not as talented as them.

However, I am not saying that they overcharge. Absolutely not. Their services are worth every dollar. But I feel like, in my scenario, going to them is like getting a blood test from the head of medicine instead of going to a nurse.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Some of the retail stores have people who can do a basic setup ok. RS in Hamilton had a guy…Shearers always had someone. Maybe ask there?

Or, start googling and learn?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

If you ever plan on going DIY, you can apply most if not all of these tips to bass too.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

If you're not confident of doing it yourself and don't want to go to a full blown luthier, I'm happy to do it, drop me a PM
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.