Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

What Bass to get.

Post by TMG 03 »

Was thinking about getting a bass for those Jam where we have 4 guitar players and no bass players.

I have looked at the Mexi Fender range and I don't really know what the difference between the P and J models are. Both sounded simimlar to me, but that was a 5 min play on each. I need to play them again to really compare.

Most of what It will be used for is just classic rock jamming. So I dont need a warwick with active pups.

I know a few here are Bass player as well as Guitar players. What do you have and what do you find are the difference in models.

:D

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

P's have slightly more aggressive tones, IMO, whereas a Jazz is a bit smooher sounding. I prefer the Jazz asthetics, playability and overall feel personally.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Timi
Gibson

Re: What Bass to get.

Post by Timi »

New Fender basses are interesting.
In my experience, all the Mexis were nicer than the USA models.
What is evn more bizzare, is that I played a Squire Jazz side by side with a Mexi Jazz, guess which was nicer.....

That aside, if you are deciding beween P or Jazz, theres a few things (apart from the obvious cosmetic factor).

Pickups:
The P's split pickup is technically a humbucker so its not very noisy. A P only does one sound but what a lovely sound it is.

Obviously the Jazz has 2 pickups, which gives you more variety. If you only use one they can be a little noisey. By just using the neck pickup you can kinda get a P bass sound, just not as much balls.
With both pickups on (how most people use them) you need to be careful cause it can get very scoopy.

Both basses suit "rock" just fine, just personal preference (or my preference, both!)

Neck:
The P bass has a nice big chunky neck, the Jazz has a very thin neck.
Ive always prefered the P neck but still like both.
TMG 03 wrote: Most of what It will be used for is just classic rock jamming. So I dont need a warwick with active pups.
:D
You never need a warwick or active pickups, those instruments were made to distract showoffs away from the real basses.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

You guys both used the 'W' word!

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

thehenderson wrote:You guys both used the 'W' word!
.....But its ok cause I was talking shit about it.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Jazz bass for sure...

Best bet is probably to play them and see... Can't go wrong with a fender bass - Squier / MIJ / MIM / MIA to suit your budget.

Have a play on a Jazz and a P and decide which one you prefer the neck on. Personally I prefer the slimmer Jazz neck, but P basses are popular with other players so each to their own and all that. Pickup wise you could even take the middle ground and go for one with a P + J config as those seemed to be common enough last time I was noseying through the rockshop.

Botany rock shop also has a squier bronco bass which is a mustang shaped body with a shortscale (30") neck which is probably worth a look for guitarists who want to play at being bassists, and for girls with small hands, but since you're a dirty lefty its probably no good to you. ;)

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Timi wrote:
thehenderson wrote:You guys both used the 'W' word!
.....But its ok cause I was talking shit about it.
Nah man, NEVER use the W word

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

Get a Mexi Fender P Bass just like mine :P I thought you had that headless hohner?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

As recycledpet said, one with P + J pickup configuration (Fender/Squier P Special) would be a good option as they will have the Precision body, Jazz neck and better sound variation.

Personally I prefer my Mexi Jazz (Love slapping my Jazz), but the Jap Squier P is always close by if I need it.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Disregarding the red herring of country of manufacture, which in my ever so humble opinion (not), doesn't matter half as much as people think, many guitarists prefer the J, largely because of its thinner neck and greater versatility. For classic rock, the P defines the expected sounds.

If its just for casual bassing, I think the J would suit you best, if you want get serious, grab one of each.

Finding lefties is a tad harder, but entirely possible.

FWIW, if it was ever a decent bass, I've probably had one or played one... and several totally indecent ones as well ;)
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I've never found a sound on the Jazz bass that I can't really get close to on a P bass yet - its all in the fingers, and tone control :D The neck suits me better too...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

They look so funny the "wrong" way round :lol:

Jazz or P, dont get a Mexi, get a Squire and some bitching pickups. (Muy Grandes treat me right).

Better yet, get a G&L or a Rickenbacker.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

where did you get those pics? I've been waiting for 10 minutes and can only see a quarter of the top one!

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

bluesgeek wrote:where did you get those pics? I've been waiting for 10 minutes and can only see a quarter of the top one!
the downside of vintage gear, only 14.4k 8)