Favourite and least favourite bass amps

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Timi
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Favourite and least favourite bass amps

Post by Timi »

I'm trying to get some more bass related discussion going on this forum....

People seem to do this in the guitar forums, so why not here.
What are your favourite and least favourite bass amps, I guess I will start.

Favourite.
Ampeg SVT2 (non pro)
Ampeg SVT AV/CL
Ampeg V4BH
Jansen Bassman 50
Laney DP150
Marshall 1959SLP
Marshall JCM800 2203 (with an eq pedal)
Marshall JMP MK2 100 watt
Marshall VBA400 (haven't actually played, only heard)

Least Favourite.
All Gallien Kruger
All Mesa ss/hybrids
All Warwick (good cabs though)

Haven't had a go but really want to.
Ampeg SVT (an actual vintage one)
Ampeg SVT-VR (vintage reissue)
Ampeg V4B (an actual vintage one)
Fender Bassman 300 Pro
Fender Rumble 300
Hiwatt Custom 200/400
Marshall 2001
Marshall JCM800 1992
Orange AD200B

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Without having the opportunity to A/B every amp I've tried / want to try with the same bass and same cab any list I can come up with isn't really going to be very useful.

But here goes anyway...

Stuff I've played that I liked:
Ampeg SVT 3 Pro - what I ended up buying
Marshall VBA400 - At the time I was looking for something to pair with an 8ohm cab, so this running at either 2 or 4 ohms wasnt an option. If I was shopping for a complete rig it would definitely be an option.
Ampeg SVT II - awesome rig, had an 8x10 attached. To much $$ and too much to carry for me though.

Haven't had a go but really want to:
Orange AD200B is the only thing I can think of. I wouldnt shell out the asking price for one though at the moment, so I don't really see the point in GASing over it.

Worst amps I have played:
Mesa M-Pulse 360 - I played a gig where one of these was provided. Thought it was going to be sweet as had been told there was going to be an awesome bass rig there so didn't need to bring my own. Didn't cut through at all. All I could hear the whole gig was a precussive click when I used a pick, otherwise I couldnt hear a thing. The sound was very scooped with no mids at all.

I guess I'm lucky at the moment that the only bad GAS I suffer comes after a bad kebab. The SVT3Pro sounds the way I want to sound and my Jazz bass with SD Quarter pounders is as good as any bass I have ever played. I've got an eye out for a 4x10 at a bargain price and since selling my soundgear I don't have a backup bass, so might be hitting ASH up when I decide what I want. My gear needs are pretty well met for now.

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

I've only ever owned a Peavey Basic 112.

I was at the RS awhile back testing a bass and they plugged me into one of their many Behringer stacks - awesome! As I play in a church (the Catholic one) that sound could be mistaken for the end of the world :lol:

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

recycledpet wrote: Marshall VBA400 - At the time I was looking for something to pair with an 8ohm cab, so this running at either 2 or 4 ohms wasnt an option.
The 8 ohm thing is what puts me off too, I cant always use my 4 ohm cab.
recycledpet wrote:Orange AD200B is the only thing I can think of. I wouldnt shell out the asking price for one though at the moment, so I don't really see the point in GASing over it.
RRP is $3599 (so really $2900ish) which is lots, VBA is cheaper and you can actually try one before you buy. Rockshop have this weird thing about quoting Orange, they told me $4500 for an AD200B. :roll:
recycledpet wrote:Mesa M-Pulse 360 - I played a gig where one of these was provided. Thought it was going to be sweet as had been told there was going to be an awesome bass rig there so didn't need to bring my own.
Ive been told "awesome bass rig provided" soooo many times, I always take my own cause the "awesome rig" is always a piece of shit.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Timi wrote:Ive been told "awesome bass rig provided" soooo many times, I always take my own cause the "awesome rig" is always a piece of shit.
I am lazier than you. I don't like using other people's basses, but if I can get away without bringing my amp then thats great.

having had a few sound guys who want to stick a DI box infront of your amp making that expensive gear you carted along solely for your own foldback pleasure has probably left me a bit jaded. Awesome bass tone is for the studio, playing live through a PA it all gets a lost anyway.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

recycledpet wrote:
Timi wrote:Ive been told "awesome bass rig provided" soooo many times, I always take my own cause the "awesome rig" is always a piece of shit.
I am lazier than you. I don't like using other people's basses, but if I can get away without bringing my amp then thats great.

having had a few sound guys who want to stick a DI box infront of your amp making that expensive gear you carted along solely for your own foldback pleasure has probably left me a bit jaded. Awesome bass tone is for the studio, playing live through a PA it all gets a lost anyway.
I take a mic with me and unplug their DI. :lol:

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

My favourite bass amps:

Ampeg SVT 4 PRO (my current amp with 8x10. Absolutely beautiul)
Jansen Gladiator (Believe it or not, my little 150w combo with 15" speaker has a wonderful tone)
Any Trace Elliot. My school had one, and I really took a liking to it.

Bass amps I hate:

Warwick (Tried them all at the Rockshop when I was trying out amps to scout out my overseas purchase, and they were terrible.)
GK (I borrowed one before I had my ampeg, and that sounded terrible too.)
SVT II (Used it at Parachute. Admitadly it was a hire amp, and had probably been thrashed. Not keen to try again)

Amps I wanted to try:

Anything Eden. After all, my idol Dirk Lance used Eden.
What are you going to do for a face, when the monkey wants its bum back?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I haven't met an amp which has stood out above all others for me. The one which lastest the shortest time though, was a GK. Sounded great at home, but lost in the band. Jansen, Holden & Peavey were my working amps for many a year.

To me - ALL gear is a compromise. And I came upon my present amp (Fender Bassman 200 combo) by trying every suitable-powered bass amp in the RS for fitting into my car boot. That was my compromise when I chose it - portability.

I honestly believe that tone is simply not that important, 'cos I only ever play bass live. I never play instruments through a PA (my pet hate) and for me, pretty much any bass amp will do the job.

So, I guess I'm just not that discriminating about them. An amp is an amp is an amp when the band's wailing. As long as I can feel it in my legs, I'm happy.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

chrls wrote:Amps I wanted to try:

Anything Eden. After all, my idol Dirk Lance used Eden.
Keep him your idol and don't try an Eden, a friend has one and I think its quite similar to a GK.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

Haha.

Thanks for the tip. I might just stick with my jansen and ampeg amps for now.

Rog; I can fit my 8x10 into my car, so that's portability for me :)

Rog

Post by Rog »

I had a BMW 325 at the time - not a large boot, plus that silly CD changer right in the way...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Last time I was in the market, I tried an original David Eden head/2x10 and it remains the best bass amp I've ever used by a country mile. I really like the SWR stuff before they sold to FMIC, more recent stuff hasn't inspired me at all. My Carvin R600 is fantastic with the full compliment of cabs, but I still think the 100W amp I built sounds better, even if its not grunty enough for a full-on gig.

The outright dismaissal of certain brands does seem, to borrow a phrase... a bit wang. ;)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog

Post by Rog »

The outright dismaissal of certain brands does seem, to borrow a phrase... a bit wang
Absolutely!

What destroys the credibility to me, from the floccinaucinihilipilificators, is that many people have never actually owned or played the breed they're dissing, they're just being parrots for the hype.

Having said that - all GM cars are total and complete crap! After all, I had a Holden wagon in the '70s and it was a piece of shit, therefore all GMs must be, right?

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

The amps I have said are terrible I have given a good work out and they didn't suit me.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3924 times

Post by Bg »

I like my clapped out HH early 80's head, even though the Graphic EQ and Compressor don't work. It has got a phaser though :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.