Moderator: Capt. Black

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Presidential Medal of Freedom for bluesman BB King

Post by DarcyPerry »

Presidential Medal of Freedom for bluesman BB King

Blues legend BB King is to be awarded America's highest civilian honour at a ceremony hosted by US President George W Bush

http://www.blues.co.nz/news/article.php?id=601
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Is it just me or is there a few guys around - Santana definitely being the worst offender - who are considered these massive guitar legends but other than being quite distinctive in their playing, don't really have anything special to bring to the table. Both these guys have been doing the same sound for at least the last 30 years, and haven't actually progressed as players in that time, and the fact is that 90% of us on these boards could do what they do without breaking a sweat. So what's the big deal? Am I missing something?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

red rag to a bull.

fark BB is the Man. "sound not changing in 30 years".

It's HIS Sound , not anyone elses despite the clones , copycats and Johnnycomelatelys. Thats exactly the point, not he only did one thing , it's thats he actually did somehting of merit that is his, that positively benifitted Mankind, and more importantly Guitar Players.

I remember one of your idols, Reeves Gabriels saying exactly the same thing ten years ago, then saw the Great Man, and became a true believer.
In fact went awat from BB's gig crying. "the Vibrato, the sound, the feel!"

I know "Completley Well" is 35 years old but shit if theres a better Blues Album I want to hear it. Lovelle/Jemmott Rhythm section is defiently touched by the hand of God.

and no you , and 90% of this board can't sound like BB. but if you come up with your own thing even 1/100th as influential I will eat my limited edition foal30 baseball cap.

and that is why he's getting a medal and why He is known and loved worldwide by thousands of MUSIC fans.

shit every day i am thankful for Blues Boy King's contrubution to Popular Culture, A Giant in every sense of the word.

of more concern is a 80yearold Catholic Vegetarian accepting anything off a Terrorist , let alone a supposed Medal of Freedom.
I trust BB will take the oppourtunity to vocalize his position on Bush's many crimes and hopefully the "FREE PRESS" might even show it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

sambrowne wrote:Is it just me or is there a few guys around - Santana definitely being the worst offender - who are considered these massive guitar legends but other than being quite distinctive in their playing, don't really have anything special to bring to the table. Both these guys have been doing the same sound for at least the last 30 years, and haven't actually progressed as players in that time, and the fact is that 90% of us on these boards could do what they do without breaking a sweat. So what's the big deal? Am I missing something?
its just you, yes you're missing something, foal summed it up concisely :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Fox will show 30 minutes of Bush, 3 seconds on BB, then a Fox presenter will say something like, "And there's another black man who can't swim". :shock:

BB King deserves better press but hey, the food will be great! 8)
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

DarcyPerry wrote:Fox will show 30 minutes of Bush...
:shock: Oh dear, that's the first thing I read off this page and had to double take... :lol:

:shock: Key-rist foal30 I agree with you...not that you need my approval :lol:
Tin arse!!

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

sambrowne wrote:Is it just me or is there a few guys around - Santana definitely being the worst offender - who are considered these massive guitar legends but other than being quite distinctive in their playing, don't really have anything special to bring to the table. Both these guys have been doing the same sound for at least the last 30 years, and haven't actually progressed as players in that time, and the fact is that 90% of us on these boards could do what they do without breaking a sweat. So what's the big deal? Am I missing something?
For once, I kinda agree with him... Santana hasn't learnt any new licks in the past 20 years. I dunno much about BB King though so he hasn't really worn me out yet.

I'll say this - That fat black man sure knows how to vibrato and not play notes :lol: :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

I would say BB King is loved by millions. He has influenced too many guitar gods to mention. In turn, his influence can be heard in music today. If you diss him, you show your ignorance, or perhaps your youth and inexperience.

Oh, the statement about Fox was purely from watching too much of it on YouTube :shock: Go search for yourself and be amazed at the redneck, anti-semetic, racist, warmongering, "fair and balanced" news they put live to air.

Fox is a Rebublican Propaganda Machine. Even they won't deny that. They'll just replace the word Propaganda with Patriot. :evil:

Show some respect for BB King. He's earned it.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

I saw BB at the u2 concert years ago. His tone was superb. And what a showman. Great backing band.

You don't have to innovate to be great. Fender Strat, Les Paul, Valve Amps, the wheel....etc etc. He does what he does best and although I never listen to him I have very mucho respecto.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

lionking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by lionking »

congrats to him, he deserves it. :DWonder what Little Richard thinks about it.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I saw BB at the u2 concert years ago. His tone was superb. And what a showman. Great backing band.

You don't have to innovate to be great. Fender Strat, Les Paul, Valve Amps, the wheel....etc etc. He does what he does best and although I never listen to him I have very mucho respecto.
When Love Comes to Town, na na na, something train! :D

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

DarcyPerry wrote:If you diss him, you show your ignorance, or perhaps your youth and inexperience.
I dunno. What about opinion then. Maybe some people just don't dig his kind of music. Or won't. Just like one of my mates who will NOT listen to Yngwie Malmsteen just because... it's Malmsteen. "No feel", apparently. Has anyone listened to that tone?!?! :?

Yes yes, someone bring up the same runs over and over. Well considering I only have like, 3 tracks, I'm not that bored yet :lol: :lol:

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

slash-ed wrote:
DarcyPerry wrote:If you diss him, you show your ignorance, or perhaps your youth and inexperience.
I dunno. What about opinion then. Maybe some people just don't dig his kind of music. Or won't. Just like one of my mates who will NOT listen to Yngwie Malmsteen just because... it's Malmsteen. "No feel", apparently. Has anyone listened to that tone?!?! :?

Yes yes, someone bring up the same runs over and over. Well considering I only have like, 3 tracks, I'm not that bored yet :lol: :lol:
Hell, you got me there. Well, this is a forum not a classroom. I'm not here to school you :wink:

In your opinion BB King's not worthy? In your opinion Malmsteen is a guitar hero? Sweet. I think both made their mark in their day and were innovative enough to inspire people to emulate their respective styles. BB King has done over 10 000 shows, has fans worldwide and still plays his trademark licks. Malmsteen has played considerably less shows, has fans worldwide and still plays his trademark licks.

I have a friend who went to Malmsteen just to get a pick. If you know his stage act, you'll know my friend had a good chance of getting one :D

In my opinion sambrowne is missing something. Son House, BB King, Santana, Green, Beck, Hendrix, Vai, Malmsteen, et al. have all brought something special to the table. And they have given this gift to the next generation of guitarists. BB King cites Bukka White (his cousin and legendary blues slide guitarist) as a huge influence on his vibrato. So many cite BB King as an influence I would find it impossible to list them all in a lifetime of research. You can count me as one though :)

So... what was my point? :roll:

Oh, here. let me put it another way. If you went to see Malmsteen at a show and he came out with an acoustic guitar and played neo classical gypsy folk tunes all night, with a tabla player and some throat singers from Tibet, because he had "progressed" as an artist... would you feel just a small amount of regret that he didn't play some of his 80's style speed metal?

Sometimes it's better to be yourself.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Nah, I'm just being pedantic. I like BB King really sorta, the way I like a whole lot of other guys... I have Riding with the King, listen to that U2 duet occasionally. Hell for the guys I DO like I usually only know a few songs (It's embarassing, but hardcore GNR junkies start going on about obscure songs and I have no clue wtf they're on about).

What is my point??

Uh, I dunno.

Oh yeah. Just because it's cliche doesn't mean it's not cool. Hassn't any single blues / rock lick already been used in some way?

I went through the whole "This guys sucks, pop is crap, Rock/Metal/etc rules" phase, but now I just think... you can learn a lot from everyone.

Although, some guys really do just suck. Don't listen. Corrodes your frontal lobe. :D

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Ok, now we agree? That sux :lol:

Um, how do we get some tension back to this thread...

Malmsteen is a classical hack :twisted:

:shock:

No, its no use. The thrill is gone :wink: