Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Orianthi

Post by Lawrence »

Ive been listening to both live concert footage and the studio albums.

I think the record label and management have missed the point.

Live her vocals re not in keeping with her albums - she is not alone there.
More to the point - live she seems to be a heritage/classic artist, one who loves the greats and likes to perform homage to them. The albums sound like someone trying to be a popstar.

Now ok she is not the planets greatest player ...and I know she would be the first to say that.
She is however, better than average and combines this with a good stage presence and look.

I like it. I think her live vocals need a few more years to mature ...but Im sure they will. overall I admire her.

What do you'all think
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: Orianthi

Post by Danger Mouse »

My 9 year old daughter is currently listening to some manufactured, formulaic and mass produced pop shite on her phone and I can't tell the difference between that and Orianthi's music.

I don't know what she could come up with unencumbered by the great pop machine, but her songs sound like they were written by a focus group.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

so is that a no?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

It's a no from me.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

I like her, she went thru a phase when she hooked up with Richie Sambora where she looked like she was on the drugs with him, but they both seem to have cleaned up and are enjoying life again which is great, she didn't get the Michael Jackson gig by being shit at guitar, just a shame he died before she had her biggest break!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

She used to be Alice Cooper's third guitarist before Nita Strauss, so her playing must not be shite!

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by dayl »

Shes def brilliant on the gat. Has her own flavour.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

She has done some quick stints at Norms Guitars that have been pretty good. I haven't checked out her albums so maybe that is why I'm not disappointed.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I wonder if there'd be any fuss over her either way if she was just another dude with speedy fingers on the fretboard. I think it probably doesn't hinder her that she's easy on the eyes, but I reckon her playing is solid as and she's definitely influenced by the virtuosos of the last 30-40 years. I agree with JB her big break was going to be the MJ tour before he carked, but it's not like she's done shit either way.

I only remember one of her songs (According to You) and it was a pop-rock hybrid that was catchy enough to still be memorable enough even nearly 15 years later.

In a tangent, her PRS sig guitar wasn't too bad and used to float around for very affordable prices.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I like her and she definitely has her original roots in blues/classic rock stuff hence she worked well in Alice Coopers band before she got the Michael Jackson gig.

When it come to albums I think she's very much trapped by the music business. She obviously wants/needs a record label deal so she kind of has to do what she's told and in that case it's obviously targeting the huge young/female/pop audience that likes stuff more like Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran rather than the classic rock influenced genres.

Another band I like at the moment is The Warning, three young sisters who are again firmly rooted in the Rock/Metal scene. They've recently been writing in Nashville and LA and there latest single while still a pretty good rock tune has a large dollop of EDM influence and features in it. I like the new song, but wow is there a backlash amongst some of their loyal fans :) again I suspect significant targetting by their record label.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

I have no opinion on her (vaguely know who she is based on lots of Premeir Guitar videos), but the OP could have been written about Gary Clark Jr based on the one album of his I have.
Nothing to see here.