Queen + Paul Rodgers

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by TMG 03 »

I saw a DVD in the red shed the other day that was called the Queen films.

Anybody seen it ?

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Made in Heaven, the films?

Terrible.

British Film students putting pictures to Made In Heaven. There's a reason they're still students...
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Ah, I decided to look it up first before spending some $$$. :)

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Polar Bear wrote:IT's worth listening to White Quen from any of the early seventies performances as well. The piano and guitar together create quite an intense noise, spine tingling doesn't cover it.
I have a video of them live in 1974 I think. It came with some collectors' pack my dad gave me. It's an amazing performance. Must have been just after Sheer Heart Attack; they were still playing Now I'm Here slowly ;)

Capt, I do know what you mean, and I think it's great Brian and Roger are out there playing. It's just that for me a band that's together - with unchanged personnel - for as long as Queen were, becomes that particular group of musicians. Similarly I couldn't really feel ok calling a band ZZ Top unless it was Billy, Dusty, and Frank. Conversely, KISS is really the Paul and Gene show, no matter how much they might protest otherwise - and it's still KISS as long as those two are there.

Like I said initially, I recognise that's fairly precious, and can accept the opposing argument. It's just that that's the way I feel about it.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I heard on the radio last week that Gene/Paul are licencing out the KISS trademark to bands who want to perform the songs under the name with all the makeup etc. There have already been pseudo-KISS shows in Asia!!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

If by Asia you mean Thailand, and by pseudo you mean "pseudo", and by that you mean tranny, you are a strange strange man. :P
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Tsuken wrote:Capt, I do know what you mean, and I think it's great Brian and Roger are out there playing. It's just that for me a band that's together - with unchanged personnel - for as long as Queen were, becomes that particular group of musicians. Similarly I couldn't really feel ok calling a band ZZ Top unless it was Billy, Dusty, and Frank. Conversely, KISS is really the Paul and Gene show, no matter how much they might protest otherwise - and it's still KISS as long as those two are there.
Yeah yeah agree. It's interesting to observe what the punters will or won't accept.

The Stones were arguably Brian Jones' band but when he died they kept going and people got used to it. The Who too. Perhaps at that stage they weren't that old so the effect was different.

Van halen just aren't Van halen without Dave but it's Eddie and whatsisname's band so they should be able to do what they want.

People got over it with AC/DC. How many guitarists have RHCP had?

Maybe it depends on the attitude of the surviving/remaining members. Do they take a "No one can ever replace 'X' but we've roped in 'Y' to keep the flame alive" or do they say "Fuck it! 'X' is gone but we're carrying on with 'Y' in his place whether youse like it or not"

If you go a couple rungs down the ladder fundamental personel changes don't seem to cause as much trouble. Frontpersons get replaced by other well known front persons all the time and the punters are often surprised and enthused by the possibilities.

A thought just occured to me. Wouldn't Dire Straits be so much cooler with Ben Harper instead of Mark Knopfler. He certainly looks better wearing sweat bands.
:)

As for Kiss, don't they have three or four touring shows going at any one time? Meanwhile Gene and Paul kick back in Acapulco or chase Paris around Hollywood parties or whatever they do.
:lol:

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

When the X factor leaves the band, its sort of kills the mojo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

TMG 03 wrote:When the X factor leaves the band, its sort of kills the mojo.
That's another interesting phenomenomenon.

'X' can always leave a band and do their own thing and it's accepted as going solo. A natural thing to do. But God forbid the band try to carry on without X.

So what does that say about the frontperson/guitar hero relationship.

Singers can be successful without their former guitar hero partner. Guitarists are rarely successful on their own unless they learn to sing very well, very quickly, tone down the guitar heroics and write songs which serve the voice rather than the guitar.

Hmmmm. Fascinating.

P.S. Having a bootleg video make top view count on YouTube doesn't count as successful. :P

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

All very good points. I'll stick my illogical position with Queen - probably because they were such a big part of my musical development, quite early on. (:? funny - I always used to take the piss out of Freddie, and go on about the fact he couldn't hit the notes live and the rest of it, but now .... ah feck it - I never claimed to be logical :P )

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

He could hit the notes :) He just didn't want to ;)
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Totally off topic, but why does'nt Elton John sing the falsetto parts of his songs anymore?

So many of them just sound wrong without it...
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Freddie almost never sang falsetto live either. He either dropped an octave, or yelled it out in his chest voice - which often sounded quite cool 8)

Here be bloggins

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Bring back George Michael? :?

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Jenesis wrote:Bring back George Michael? :?
I think he is back already. Saw him on the news the other night talking about a new album. He was arguing with the reporter on important topics such as the fact that homosexual people don't cheat on their partners, only straight people do that :?

Also, his face looks like it has been entirely reconstructed out of clay :shock:
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.