Moderator: Capt. Black

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

>>If folks don't like what the free marketeers are doing, then don't buy from them. It's pretty simple really. And arguably they offer a service to those not willing to stand in a line all night. If they stood in line for you, they should be paid for it. So, it's a service. No duress involved! Wrongly or rightly, we live in a society hell bent on singing the praises of the free market. Why not leave the free market to do its thing? Let the market decide what is a legitimate amount of compensation for standing in line on behalf of.<<

Yeah, good points.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

1964 wrote:8 tickets doesn't seem that large a group, and I would think a lot of folks would go in groups rather than pairs. The ability to buy less than 6 tickets would seem a very restrictive practice to me.
In a perfect world, they would be bought for a group of 8 going to a show... as you can currently see on Trade Me, that isn't the case...
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

Post by 1964 »

> "5 would be practical as thats how many you can fit in the average car."

3 blokes in the front of the Holden and 4 girls in the back sounds about right to a U2 concert to me, and 2 or 3 in the "boot" if it's a wagon. ;)

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

TMG 03 wrote:did all the Aussie shows sell out. I see on that link to Coppel that two were still not sold out.
I don't even think TicketShafter have put sold out for the NZ show on their site yet..

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

There is a very easy answer. It relates to the most simple of economic models. Supply and demand. There will be no market for scalpers if the last ticket was sold at the gate on the day of the concert. So you smply need to reduce demand.
You do that by increasing the price. Keep raising the price until the equilibrium is reached. If the tickets were $250 each then demand goes down and the keen get to go

Or make the tickets reduce in price. $500 to start with, next month $400, then $300. Those keenest to go will buy immediately. The scalpers have no market as the tickets are coming down in price. The promoter sells the last 1000 tickets at $10 at the gate.

And before you say only the rich will go. Sorry sonny, thats your fault for being a loser or maybe you just don't want to go enough. And lets face it. They only come once every 10 years. Put a dollar a week away and you can buy a ticket next time.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Post by 1964 »

> "In a perfect world, they would be bought for a group of 8 going to a show... as you can currently see on Trade Me, that isn't the case..."

But we're talking about a miniscule number of tickets in reality! IMO, the simple fact that the likes of TM makes it so visible has folks blowing it all out of all sense of proportion.

Without traditional so-called scalping, those who want a ticket last minute wouldn’t have a shit show, whereas scalpers offered the ability to get a ticket outside…at a price.

I tend to think of this as part of tall poppy syndrome. Folks complaining about a few other folks so-called profiteering in a way that they wish they could of but didn’t think of it.

Post by 1964 »

You seem to be presenting a model totally alien to the law of supply and demand!

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

here's a thought, why not put the whole 42000 tickets on trademe?
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Post by 1964 »

> "And before you say only the rich will go. Sorry sonny, thats your fault for being a loser or maybe you just don't want to go enough. And lets face it. They only come once every 10 years. Put a dollar a week away and you can buy a ticket next time."

So, let's replace something that's being argued as wrong with something equally if not more abhorrent?

Post by 1964 »

philipnz wrote:here's a thought, why not put the whole 42000 tickets on trademe?
Apart from potential arguments over on-line access, I think that would probably be the fairest way to stop all the bullshit.

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

1964 wrote:You seem to be presenting a model totally alien to the law of supply and demand!
perhaps you should read it. someone has screwed up. If you sell out of a limited resource in 90 minutes then you are too cheap.

The rock is still running adds saying that if you buy your tickets before 22nd december then you go in the draw to win one of 10 gift packs - LMAO.

Obviously U2 management don't give a shit that their research totally underestimated the appropriate price for the tickets. I think they could have got another $100 a ticket or $4,200,000. with no increase in costs.
Last edited by philipnz on Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1964 »

But then of course folks would be complaining that TradeMe was getting preferential treatment and profiteering. :lol:

Post by 1964 »

philipnz wrote:
1964 wrote:You seem to be presenting a model totally alien to the law of supply and demand!
perhaps you should read it.
I read it! You are presenting a model that interferes with the market by running a price-setting experiment.

I have no vested interest either way though, because if someone gave me a ticket I'd just shove it in my wallet and wouldn't go anyway. In fact, you'd literally have to pay me a significant amount of money to make it worth my while going. Even if I thought U2 were worth watching, I’d prefer to watch the DVD in the comfort of my recliner with a fridge full of beer a metre away.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I think the U2 management cocked it up. THey played here 2-3 time before and packed a 65000 park. I think back then they were $65 each.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

1964 wrote:But we're talking about a miniscule number of tickets in reality! IMO, the simple fact that the likes of TM makes it so visible has folks blowing it all out of all sense of proportion.
miniscule.... mmmm, we're only 1 day past the ticket sale date of the concert, and already a couple of hundred listings for tickets on TM. Do you think that the auctions for tickets will dry up when these have sold?.... Once the second show tickets are gone, and the concert date draws closer.. then you'll get a better idea of how many were purchased for re sale ... my guess is between 5 and 10%, that's 5 - 10,000 tickets over 2 nights

There is a real need for evaluation on the whole ticket distribution system. I stood in line at the local PO behind 2 guys who had been there all night and would have gladly paid double for their tickets.... but they ended up with nothing, as did all 50+ people in our queue.
What would be so hard about having an allocation of pre printed tickets at locations?.