An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: VH...maybe at last

Post by Vorbis »

Its just awful, I quite like a lot of VH stuff but I just cant find anything I like in the new album. Glad you guys seem to like it, maybe I'm just too old for DLR?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

fake....but not entirely implausible :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2QA84etaoc[/youtube]
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Vorbis wrote:Its just awful, I quite like a lot of VH stuff but I just cant find anything I like in the new album. Glad you guys seem to like it, maybe I'm just too old for DLR?
We can't all love Dave, that's for sure. Even understanding him is difficult, or at least keeping track of what he's on about. The lyrics on the new records are very much 'Fine art and pizza delivery' with the handbrake unbolted and thrown out the window. I find it charming.

Well, Yngwie will no doubt be releasing another album in due course. Apparently he writes all the lyrics, too. Are wizards and dragons popular in Whangarei or are you pretty much on your own with that?
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

New video up with Dave interviewing the bros VH.
http://www.guitarworld.com/video-david- ... -van-halenAs I said before Dave has totally got that 'denture slur' goin on! Interesting to me was the fact that they are half Indonesian (never knew that)! Also interesting to hear them talk about their classical piano background (which I remember Ed playing down in interviews when 'Jump' came out).
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I heard Tattoo for the first time while I had the radio on in the shed the other day, thought it was OK and great to hear the voice of Diamond Dave in the VH band again.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

well I got the album today and sorta like what I hear....I'm not really VH fan (this is only the 3rd VH album I have owned....and one of those was VH3 :lol: :lol: ) so can't really say how "good" it is but from what I have listen to it has everything I know VH to be (liking the guitar...not to sure about dave)

i'm about 2/3rds of the way through and the stand out track so far is "Honeybabysweetiedoll"....eddies main riff is heavy and sinister, with a "strut" that is just infectious
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

JohnG
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by JohnG »

The 2nd song "She's The Woman" is awesome. The solo is fantastic. Loving the Album!

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

I've had a full-quality listen now. I'm kind of shocked at how good it is, 'Tattoo' aside. The band really brings it.

Really like 'As-is', 'Chinatown' and 'blood and fire'.

The album seems to getting an overwhelmingly positive response from fans. But as a fan, I've never seen so many positive reviews from critics. Even the Guardian and Duncan Grieve have been very kindly.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I've been hammering the crap out of this album in my car. Aside from the fact is as generally a kick-ass album, I am loving the SOUND of the album. The production has so much BALLS!!!!

Wolfgang is totally owning on bass!!! What a great rock player. I was as sad as anyone to see MIchael ANthony out the door (and I still wish he was back) but as far as replacements go - they couldn't have wished for a better substitute.

My overview is that this is largely a very good album indeed, and is better than I expected it to be. I like how in some respects it is reminescent of my favourite DLR era albums, but in more respects sounds fresh and new. Ed is playing like a monster and has some of the best guitar tone he's put on record since Fair Warning.

It does have some dud tracks on there too, but then what album doesn't? Tattoo is something of a travesty. But She's the Woman, Big River, As is and a slew of others make up for it. I'm even digging "Stay Frosty" which seems to be a somewhat polarising track.

Thumbs up from me. I give the album 3.5 stars. It's not blowing my mind-hole, yet it IS a very good album, makes me smile every time and I haven't stopped playing it (very loud) since I got it.

....and I'm just so happy to hear VH doing what they do best after many years of somewhat losing their way.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

Had a listen on a dodgy system ( uhhhh... Roland Micro Cube as PC speaker :lol: ) and it kicked ass. Blood and Fire is my favourite. Looking forward to cranking it properly. I liked all the songs except one, don't remember the name [edit - "You and your blues", particulary the pre-chorus bit] , but it was like an attempt to write a cute pop song, it didn't sound very "van halen". Eddie does a tons of "WTF how did he do that?" licks, not necessarily in terms of sheer technique, but his inimitable "feel" and his way of fitting notes over the groove that wouldn't fit if someone else played them...

And I only once noticed that three-note phrase he plays at the end of almost every lick he played in the 90s, which is a good thing. Got old after the first couple hundred times, Ed.
Last edited by Some Bozo on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

Has anyone got the deluxe version and is the dvd worth the $5 extra?
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

NZRS_Matt wrote:Wolfgang is totally owning on bass!!! What a great rock player. I was as sad as anyone to see MIchael ANthony out the door (and I still wish he was back) but as far as replacements go - they couldn't have wished for a better substitute.
He seems to get a lot more "lead" bass moments than Michael. I don't know if that's due to being better, or if it's just that if you're playing bass in this band an your surname isn't Van Halen you have to shut up and keep playing the root :lol:

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

I got it through iTunes so assuming its the same as in the store you get about 15min of footage of them doing Panama, You and Your Blues and Beautiful Girls acoustically (The Downtown Sessions). Dave tells a story as well. Its interesting but it won't change your life..but then its $5 and its Van Halen...so go large!!! :D :D

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Dress rehearsal video and audio from the 'friends and family' last rehearsal at the LA Forum coming through today:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMGoKSD ... r_embedded[/youtube]

You know you're in LA when the guest list includes Charlie Sheen, Jon Lovitz, Valerie Bertinelli, Diane Lane, Miranda Cosgrove, Van Halen engineer Ross Hogarth, Slash, Duff McKagan, Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine, Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains, Tone Loc, Steve Lukather, Vivian Campbell from Def Leppard, Bobby Blotzer from ratt, Ralph Saenz from Steel Panther, Brad Wilk, John “5? Lowery, , Vivian Campbell, George Lynch, and The Atomic Punks.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Hot_Grits wrote: Vivian Campbell from Def Leppard, Vivian Campbell
viv was there twice :shock: :lol: :wink:

I see eddie seems to be rocking the stealth exclusively at the moment
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be