Ragging on guitarists

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Ragging on guitarists

Post by Tsuken »

This was prompted by the sideline "discussion" in the EC335 thread. I figure if you can't play someone's licks, you don't have much of a leg to stand on when calling them crap. Work at it, get his stuff down, then you can say he (or she)'s crap. Saying you don't personally like someone's playing is different, of course. So "I don't like Clapton" is fine, but "Clapton is a fogey" or "Yngwie sucks" are not really supportable - unless you can play their stuff. The difference is whether you're making a comment on yourself ("I don't like _______") or on someone else ( _____ is crap/fogey/boring/whatever). I try to avoid the latter as often as I catch myself - unless I'm talking about the White Stripes and similar ;)

...oh! And C.C. Deville. ;) Check out the "solo" in Cherry Pie, by Warrant. C.C. plays the lead, and it's unbelievable. Most of it's just boring wanky nothingness, but I swear he must have sat down and figured out what would be the absolute worst-sounding thing he could possibly play to finish with; it seriously sounds like he's wiping his arse on the fretboard :?

I realise this may not be a popularly held view (not about C.C - everyone thinks the same except C.C. himself); what do others think? I know we're all guilty of saying something is crap when we just don't find it aesthetically pleasing ourselves; I think it's important to try to avoid that. (except when talking about hip-hop chingy wikka wikka fi'ty cent shizzle ma nizzle fo' ma dizzle hizzle shite ... and what's laughably called "R&B" nowadays - you know: with no Rhythm, and no Blues :roll: )
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

that's a good point..

i admit i don't like certain kinds of music..

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

excellent points :) I can call 70's Fleetwood Mac pissy though as I admit the Lyndsey Buckingham had some good ideas ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Ragging on guitarists

Post by Gelato »

Tsuken wrote:This was prompted by the sideline "discussion" in the EC335 thread. I figure if you can't play someone's licks, you don't have much of a leg to stand on when calling them crap.....
Very good point. There is a big difference in not liking someones music and saying that they are "crap" because of what they play. It's always funny, to me, to hear people put down a particular guitarist because they don't play the style of music that they like, e.g. "Yngwie sucks and Kurt Cobain deserves his place in the top 10 guitarists of all time" :? I don't think anyone has actually said that to me, but I'm sure it must be true...
Tsuken wrote:...oh! And C.C. Deville. ;)
Well, that goes without saying really.... :lol:

Sicklehut
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Sicklehut »

Much better just to focus on the music or players that you like ... :lol:

What are you doing listening to Cherry Pie .... 8) ...
I woke up this morning and said to myself
Self what a great day it is for Rock and Roll ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

But I'm a naturally negative person! I'll have nothing left to say if I cut out all the criticism of musicians, poking holes in movie plots, deconstructing poorly thought-out designs, ranting about the decline of English comprehension and spelling etc...

YOU'RE ALL WRONG AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE ON ABOUT AND HENDRIX ISN'T DEAD AND HALFORD CAN'T SING AND HETFIELD WEARS MAKEUP AND WYLDE ISN'T THAT WILD AND FREDDIE WAS JUST PRETENDING TO BE A POOF AND FONZIE WASN'T ITALITAN AND THE YOUTH OF TODAY AND BLOODY POLITICIANS!!!! :twisted: :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

What a load of utter bollocks.

I think 50cent is crap, there, I said it - and i cant rap. I'm not going to learn how to rap just so that i can say i dont like it.

I think Ashley Simpson is crap. Do i have to have sex change and learn how to look stupid and lipsync out of tune to say she is crap?

Can I not say a band is crap if I cant play every instrument?

I understand you guys are passionate about your guitar gods and shredding but saying people cant dis your hero if you cant play his licks like you sit in your bedroom training hour after hour to do is the most dumbfuck notion i have ever heard. Do you think barry manilow is crap? I bet you cant play piano like he can

you think bono sucks? lets hear your singing voice.

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

The guy with a beat up acoustic round a camp fire that can pick up the chords and half the words to 90% of the cheesy songs ever written is as much a guitar god as the jazz/blues/shredders/classicals of the world and probably gets just as much pussy, which afterall is what its all about
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

i thought it's all about the hokey pokey? that's what it's all about? right?

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

this thread was derected at my vulgar opinions of music i hate i presume.

NEGATIVITY IS WHAT MAKES THE WORLD FUN DAMN IT!

If everyone was nice and totally suppostive of each other this world would be one helluva boring place to live.
"I am the Black Wizard"

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

philipnz wrote:What a load of utter bollocks.

I think 50cent is crap, there, I said it - and i cant rap. I'm not going to learn how to rap just so that i can say i dont like it.

I think Ashley Simpson is crap. Do i have to have sex change and learn how to look stupid and lipsync out of tune to say she is crap?

Can I not say a band is crap if I cant play every instrument?

I understand you guys are passionate about your guitar gods and shredding but saying people cant dis your hero if you cant play his licks like you sit in your bedroom training hour after hour to do is the most dumbfuck notion i have ever heard. Do you think barry manilow is crap? I bet you cant play piano like he can

you think bono sucks? lets hear your singing voice.
get a freakin' grip.

You're missing the point.
(1) most of the stuff you're saying is "crap", you're actually saying you don't like. It's basically no different from me saying that gibson's are crap, because I don't like them. I don't do that (unless I'm taking the piss) - but I'll go out on a limb here and say you're not taking the piss. You sound deadly serious, and a little hot under the collar. ;)
(2) You start walking a bloody shaky road if you start ragging on someone's musical ability if you can't do what they do.
(3) where the hell did I say this applied only to shredders, or technically difficult playing, or anything the fuck else? Don't say Billy Gibbons is crap unless you can master tone like he can, for example.
(4) some things are not music, so this discussion does not apply to them ;) - for example 50 Cent et al; if it has no melody, and no harmony, it's a chant over a drum-beat, not music. Therefore we as musicians can happily look down on it. However, realistically we probably can't call it crap - all we can say is that we loathe and despise everything about it, and as far as we can see there is no musical talent involved. NB: "as far as we can see". Have we ever tried? Are we any good at it? Is it maybe harder than we think?

Don't be so bloody sensitive, not to mention self-referential.

btw - I'm not just complining that that people "shouldn't dis my hero because..." (out of interest, who do you think my "heroes" are? I'd be interested to see what sort of assumptions you make about me). This actually started from my irritation at some "dissing" of Clapton - who I like, sure - but more as a singer and a songwriter than as a guitarist. I try really hard not to put down any players, unless I really really think their stuff stinks, and I can play it well enough to realise that there's not enough redeeming value in terms of ability.

Oh, and a guy who can strum a bunch of chords to lots of songs is not a guitar god. He may indeed be a campfire god, and a great entertainer, but that doesn't make him a guitar god (and if this hypothetical person has half a clue, I bet he'd say the same). To be a "god" on any instrument really does require a level of virtuosity - not just knowing the chords to lots of songs.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

something to think about..

the reason i despise rap/hip-hop is because it gets more recognition than what i think is better music.. does that make sense?

i have to admit, once in a while i will listen to hiphop but only in the rarest of occasions, there really are some catchy songs.. (Heyyy yeahhh)

also do we hate certain "artists" because they made it big.. and somehow we or artists we idolise haven't? kinda like saying.. "if that quim can do it.."

but then again there's a difference between mainstream and stuff that you just really like. like shredders, you guys idolise yngwie/vai/satriani and so forth, but you will never expect them to be mainstream anyway..

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

A chant over a drum beat is not music? A drum beat is not music? Musicians can happily look down on drummers?

Someone fire me a pm and let me know when the forum takes its hand of its cock
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

philipnz wrote:A chant over a drum beat is not music? A drum beat is not music? Musicians can happily look down on drummers?

Someone fire me a pm and let me know when the forum takes its hand of its cock
LOL!
"I am the Black Wizard"

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

'eh up, who opened the can of worms :)

I actually like some rap, house and techno stuff - its all music, just not guitar based. Don't start ragging them unless you can do the rap/breakbeat stuff :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.